Ronaldinho is pretty sweet but...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DublinBass, May 18, 2006.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Ronaldinho is pretty sweet but...could barcelona actually beat a London side without a one man advantage?!

2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Nope, don't think so.

I saw the game and it was apparant to me that Arsenal were the better team. I am no football guru, and only usually watch the big games but not only were Arsenal playing with 10 players, they had the ref against them too. There was no way Henri should have been yellow carded for that tackle.

Barcelona won, and good for them, but they sure didn't deserve it. They may be rememberd as the team that won the Champions League against only 10 men. Doesn't sound quite as good that way eh!

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Always a difficult question but Barcelona looked something else when Henrik Larsson came on the pitch.

4. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Arsenal played fantastic, but the better side won, however the match didnt go that way...??

If you know what I mean?? :-?

5. Steve

Steve Active Member

I still believe Barcelona are the better side. That is why they have managed european and domestic success this season and no matter how attractive Arsenals football has been at times this season, any one who has watched Barca knows deep down they are untouchable.

Well done for beating quality opposition on the way to the final, but the best team did win. I wish it hadn't been in such dubious circumstances though as now there will be a massive if, but, maybe debate going on for years.

6. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Anybody else think that Ronaldinho looks like an aquaphibian out of stingray :oops:

7. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy (Mr Wenger) and a nicer team.

Follow the rise of Spurs and decline of Arsenal next season!!

8. dyl

dyl Active Member

Why all the whingeing by Wenger and Henry today? Yes some decisions went against them, but they sure as hell benefitted enourmously from a couple themselves. Eboue can count himself lucky not to have been red-carded for the studs-first 'tackle' he was booked for, and as for his theatrical dive to win the free-kick from which they scored? Greg Louganis would have been proud of that one. Granted, Henry shouldn't have been booked either while a few Barca players got off lightly with some of their tackles, especially in the first half.

Can't argue with the sending off, but what I can argue with is Andy 'bitter' Gray on Sky saying that the ref completely spoiled the occassion with that sending off - 'It's the European Cup Final - a spectacle, and now the ref has spoiled it. No common sense.' - so let's forget the rules then shall we Gray? It could well have been a lot worse for Arsenal then - he could have played advantage and red-carded Lehman after it.

Having said all that, Arsenal did defend heorically at times, but it was only a matter oftime before their defence was breached when you consider the attacking talent Barca had in their ranks.

9. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

According to a referee of my acquaintance, no he couldn't. If he'd have played the advantage, he then couldn't have gone back and given the red.
    Personally, with such a deliberate action by Lehman, I think he got what he deserved.
    The Arsenal goal came about from a free kick which wasn't.

In summary, I don't think Arsenal fans have a leg to stand on this morning!!

On the bright side, hopefully Sol Campbell will be in a better place having scored and both of them came through unscathed.

Whilst not a gooner, I do support the british teams on occasions such as this and am disappointed for them. However, the best team won I'm afraid.

10. dyl

dyl Active Member

But they can book them after giving an advantage? Silly.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    man
    advantage
    side
    Ronaldinho
    barcelona
  12. andywooler

Indeed but that's only a yellow - so which is the advantage, no goal and no 1st choice keeper on the pitch or 1-0 and lehman still there? (potentially for pens at the end)

13. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

14. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I think the fairest thing to have done would have been to give them the goal on advantage and give Lehman a yellow.

BTW, I was ambiguous in my original post as you'll remember Chelsea also went down a man early and still took a 1-0 lead over Barcelona before tiring out and losing in a similar fashion.

15. andywooler

And then no doubt be accused of being unsure - the ref can't win in this sort of situation.

16. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Indeed he can't Andy. At the end of the day football, thankfully is not a precise science. If it was all black and white what would us football lovers have to talk about and debate for hours upon end.

Imo the advent of replays to assist the referee will kill the game that we love. Buts thats for another thread!

17. Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy Member

No sympathy for Lehman - what seems to have been overlooked is that he was going for the ball OUTSIDE the area, if he had got his hand to it and not touched the BArca player that too would have been a sending off. Just bad judgement all round from Mr Lehman.

Arsenal were v bad losers - if Henry had scored some of the chances he had he wouldn't have had to moan about the ref.

The times I've seen Arsenal live [v Man City] despite usually thrashing us they are the wingiest, most un-sporting, dirty, diving set of timewasters I've seen - from a team that has absolutely no need to do it as they can also be stunning to watch.

18. persins

persins Member

Woohoo! Serves them right!!

Yid Army!!!

I was so happy when Barcelona won. Lehman deserved to go.
    I even heard on the radio that the commentator was trying to convince the world that all the Spur and Chelsea fans were putting aside their differences to support the British team. Well, here's one that wasn't!

19. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

ditto

20. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

No complaints from this Arsenal fan. Lehmann had to go. Arsenal's free kick which led to their goal was dubious to say the least (although Barca's equaliser had a touch of offside about it too) but the better team won.

Still, Henry's staying so it's not all doom and gloom. Rise of Spurs and decline of Arsenal? Well, let's wait and see, eh?