Roll Call - Durham Miner's Gala

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bigcol, Jul 11, 2003.

1. bigcol

bigcol Member

OK - the weather forecast is for a scorcher, the brass will be flowing as well as the beer, so who's going to the Durham Miner's Gala tomorrow?

I am - Gateshead Brass are marching in the banner from Chopwell. 7 Am start.

Good job I don't need any beauty sleep!

[​IMG]

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Roll Call
    Durham Miner's Gala
    Gateshead Brass
    Chopwell
    Durham Miner
  3. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

i'm gonna be there.... am gonna take my tMP Mods t-shirt as well so look out for me! 8)

4. HBB

HBB Active Member

Please change that piccy Sparkly, it's scaring me! :shock: :lol:

5. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

i'll be there with Dunston (with sparkly in tow!), dunno what banner we're marching in though.

I did Chopwell a few years ago with felling, be afraid, be very afraid, a small, hilly communist stronghold is chopwell, i'll doubt i'll ever march down another Lenin St in the UK!

Dunston being last in, i get a lie in! don't have to get the bus til 7.45!!

6. dave jake

dave jake Member

Dunston are marching with Leaholme tomorrow.Geordie Col you better avoid our solo cornet and solo horn they are both from Chopwell. you be afraid be very afraid they don t call the cornet player BIG NIGE for nothing! :hammer

7. geordiecolin

i seem to have come through unscathed!! no offence was meant chopwellites!!

Durham day was great although i was dubious at one point, the 1 1/2 hour wait in a band traffic jam really got me down, but handily placed pubs were a godsend!!

i saw Stan and MichelleGarbutt playing with murton but didn't get a chance to talk and we were only at the Warders Club for about 1/2 hour (last in is forst out!). apparently wonky and sparkly saw boozybasstrombone but i didn't, i was too busy having a bizarre reuninon with ex-old defunct band members.

overall, i feel sparkly was a bit bewildered, wonky baton was wasted and i was canny, on my way like and sick to death of "The Ballerina"

All in all a good day all round!!

8. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

yep we were there. Jfenwick was playing side drum for us as well. Saw sparkling and geordiecolin but didn't get much chance to talk. Robertjohn was there playing for sacriston as well. We had a 45 minute march round Murton before we went. It took us 3 hours to get from the market place to the racecourse. Then once we'd marched out again we had another 45 minute march round Murton. I was knackered when we finished and can barely walk today with the blisters on my feet. Still it was a good day

9. sparkling_quavers

Yeah it was a good day. I wasn't bewildered.... it was more like.... ermmmmm pissed ! Was definately an experience thanks to all at Dunston for making me welcome. RE: wet t-shirts ..... yes ahem it did look very dodgy cheers wonky! :?

I did mean to wear my new sparkly mods t-shirt but it got left on the coach *cries*

I took a few photos and am gonna invest in a scanner asap so will hopefully get them up on tMP ASAP hehe

10. bigcol

bigcol Member

The People of Chopwell were lovely and we had a really good time at GB.

One of the reasons for the hold ups were an ambulance called to the Country just as Ferryhill played - I don't know what happened, but it did hold things up for a while as we were about 2-3 off playing when it happened.

I'm sunburnt, with matching red feet! We had a job this afternoon in South Shields and I'll be dead honest and say it is not the best the band has ever played!!

I love the Gala and long my it continue - next year I'm after that bass drum position!

11. Ali

Ali Member

My girlfriend and I would like to say a BIG thank you to the Horden Band. They made us feel really welcome and a REALLY BIG thanks to Anne Rice and her son Daniel who looked after us. What a top day and I would recomend it to any one. I even got to play in the Cathedral. THe weather was gerat and it almost rivals Whit FRiday, but the atmosphere is better in Durham. You lot know how to party. Long may it continue.TOP!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Roll Call
    Durham Miner's Gala
    Gateshead Brass
    Chopwell
    Durham Miner
  13. geordiecolin

Glad you enjoyed yourself. it is undeniably a great day out!

14. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

I was there too and my big announcement is - I was not r*****d!!!
    I was especially taken by Wonky's au naturel look - but I think we lost a few of our band in his chest wig!!

15. dave jake

dave jake Member

Had a great day ,lost a layer of skin off the top of my baldy head. It was lovely to meet geordie colin and Sparkly( sorry for leaving your TMP teeshirt on the bus) enjoyed thier company makes the pain worthwhile. :D :D

16. ChewyTuba

ChewyTuba New Member

I thoroughly enjoyed myself on Gala Day,and it was nice to see Sparkly and Geordie Col. Next year You 2 can play for Murton,and we'll get YOU DRUNK :twisted:

17. sparkling_quavers

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

18. hornblower

hornblower Member

It was yet another good day out, great to meet sparkly and see colin, cheers guys!!!!
    :D

19. sparkling_quavers

I am picking my photos up tommorrow so watch out for them being posted later on 2moro 8) 8)

20. RobertJohn

RobertJohn New Member

Getting in early

Indeed it was a fine day out. Would anyone like to play cornet for Sacriston at next years meeting?

21. geordiecolin

am currently scanning my pics. watch this space!

22. sparkling_quavers

seems I have beat you to it.

Take a look at www.sparklyland.co.uk