Rogue items on Start Button

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Will the Sec, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Dear computing wizards on tMP, (those with knowledge below the championship level are welcome to contribute!) I've recently noticed that a short cut called "Internet Special Offers" has appeared on my start button. My attempts to delete it have thus far failed, and it's now a worry. It doesn't show up as spy or mal-ware and is apparently from Earthlink which as far as I know is a reputable company. Any ideas how to permanently remove it? Or if it is something more sinister that's beating my security suite? Ta...

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    items
    Rogue
    attempts
    cut
    worry
  3. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Does it go away when you delete it and then reappear after a reboot. If so then there is probably a registry entry that is running a program at startup to create the link.

Are you running XP. If so you should look in the All Users and your own account directory trees under Documents and Settings and see if there is an item in the Start Menu folder.

This might help

http://main.nc.us/help/wiki/Main/SwitchingEarthlink

4. Will the Sec

Sorted, thanks, John. It was in as a programme called Riverdeep - no idea how it got onto my PC, though.

5. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Just watch out for the virus called 'mountainhigh'.

Maybe you should now do a full scan of your system, with 'all files' set? Just as a precaution.

6. Will the Sec

I have done, Mike, as soon as I spotted it. It didn't register as a problem.

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I don't know if this helps but Riverdeep owns and distributes ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite.

8. Will the Sec

How interesting. I've not had Zone Alarm for a while. Bet it wouldn't have happened whilst it was still a small company...