Robert Childs & Cory

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Anno Draconis, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

According to his status on Facebook, Dr Bob Childs is taking a break from banding once he's taken Cory to the European. Bit out of the blue!

One of my most cherished recordings (not just bands, but all music) is the recording of Pickard's Gaia Symphony, which I was also privileged to see live at the RNCM a few years back. Phenomenal music making, and of the many achievements that the Childs/Cory partnership chalked up, that's my highlight. Well done, sir.

So, who's next at the biggest job in Welsh banding? And given that RC has said on facebook that he doesn't plan on taking a band at the Nationals or the Open, any suggestions on what he might do next?

2. Porthouse to Cory. Then Bob takes up Professional conductor at Tredegar from next year. Taking bets people. Paddy take note of this pal.

3. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

I'm a celebrity... get me out of here! ?

Celebrity fit club ??

4. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

bong (£7)

5. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Ready, Steady, Conduct.....

6. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

So is that both Childs gone from Cory? A Childless Band then

7. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Was that a gag??

8. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Yes - but Not very good one though!

My Daughter would call it a DAD joke

9. Blackpool, 7 pints? = equal. <3

10. simonium

simonium Member

The banding press is going to have literally nothing to write about,

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Bob Childs
    Cory
    I)Gaia Symphony
    European
    Robert Childs
  12. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

bong

13. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

What an end to an era for the premier band in Wales! First David going and now his dad, Robert! is there something going on at Cory that we are not told about?

14. would just like to clarify to the brass band public that this is a BEER bong not your conventional Saturday night in Merthyr bong.

15. Dr Bob

Dr Bob Member

16. The next Rory Mcilroy!

17. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Genius

18. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Probably not. I might be naive, but I'm prepared to take the two statements that Bob has posted on Facebook at face value. Playing for a band like Cory takes a huge amount of personal commitment. Both have long standing records of being at the top of their respective games for some considerable time.

David's at a time where he can profit from his ability and will be able to do more with the extra time he'll have available.

Bob's got a grandchild that he'd like to spend more time with, plus other work projects to focus on.

I can imagine that even continued success in the same field can become boring after a while and as far as I know Bob's offered to help and advice on his replacement.

I now await the news that the above is complete rubbish and that I shouldn't believe everything I read on Facebook ;)

19. The Godfather

The Godfather Member

Add this one to the pot rumour-mongers. Cory top cornet moving to Isle of Man ?

20. BikeBadger

BikeBadger Member

Cory will hardly break stride. OK, so they'll lose their main man on the inside at the academy but this will only slightly hinder their ability to cajole and intimidate prospective/present players. Wales's premier band will continue to protect its position through ruthless "recruitment", often motivated as much by disruption of rivals as improvement in playing standards. Good luck to them, but let's get away from the romantic notion that Wales has slipped into a period of mourning. The king is dead etc....

21. The Godfather

The Godfather Member

Ruthless, intimidate, ??? That sounds a littlle caustic my friend. Do tell us more about the workings of the 'Taffia'.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Bob Childs
    Cory
    I)Gaia Symphony
    European
    Robert Childs