Roads to Blackpool

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Redhorn, May 10, 2006.

1. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

I'll be travelling up to Blackpool on Friday afternoon, from Essex/London. I've got a fair idea of what route im going to take (probably M1. M6, etc) - but obviously am not aware of any traffic problems that I might meet (roadworks, etc). My SatNav is excellent, but doesnt tell me about those either!

What route would you recommend? How long do you think its likely to take me (driving at a non-law breaking 70mph, obviously! ;-) )

Whats the parking in Blackpool like?

(and do I need to pack my long-johns? Im told its still Winter oop north! ;-) )

2. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Defiantely take the M6 toll road especially on a Friday

3. Di

Di Active Member

Try and leave as early afternoon as you can. Journeys north on the M6 on Friday evenings are long and slow. :( We'll be hitting the M6 toll at about 3.45, hoping to beat the rush hour traffic.

4. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

parking in blackpool, there are a few mulitstorey car parks around the winter gardens, if you go a little further away and don't mind a 5-10min walk there are streets you can park on (for free i think).

i don't think you'll need your longjohns, its around 22 degrees where i am (although admittedly im not exactly near blackpool, it takes just over an hour to get to blackpool from where i am)

5. Di

Di Active Member

6. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

7. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

I just hope it doesnt rain in the galleon bar.!!!

Or thats my entire weekend ruined! :p

8. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

What about snow for areas day???? That wasn't rain!! :tongue:

9. andyp

andyp Active Member

Friday pm on the M6.......ouch!

Go as early as you can!

Use the toll road, well worth the money. Beware J20/21 and round Preston, ideally you want to avoid rush hour here, be before 3 or after 6. Have your radio on for accidents, it only takes one and the M6 snarls up, and on POETS day people are not too careful how they get home as long as it's quick.

10. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I drove up the M6 last friday heading to the Lakes. I was travelling mid afternoon - got to the Manchester area by about 3.30 and had no problems. However, people travelling about an hour behind me had an awful time, and I kept hearing on the travel reports about queues in places I had just sailed through (before anybody says it - I don't think I caused the problems!:tongue:) so earlier is definitely better...

Good luck!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    route im
    idea
    Winter
    Roads
    Blackpool
  12. Di

Di Active Member

Waaaaaaah, I can't leave any earlier without taking Vic out of school. :-?

13. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Well, I'm sure she wouldn't mind ;) :tongue:

14. Di

Di Active Member

Funny, thats just what she just said. :rolleyes:

15. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

We're leaving Doncaster about 3.45pm. Rehearsal booked for 7pm! With the sounds of it, we may be lucky to arrive beofre 8pm!!! :eek:

16. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

exactly what i was thinking... :clap:

17. Steve

Steve Active Member

Who is up there Friday night then (band wise)? Obviously being the pro I am I wont be getting lashed on the Friday (much!!!)