Road March for youth band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by baritoneosh, Feb 16, 2014.

1. baritoneosh

baritoneosh Member

We are about to compete in our first march contest as a youth band. We have our concert march ready for the contest, but I'm looking for a road march if possible that is not difficult but will sound great when the band walks through the village.

Any suggestions?
  2. midlandman

midlandman Member

You could try Starlake a great march
  3. Yes, Starlake is a nice one. Slaidburn would probably have more impact, though, IMHO.
  4. baritoneosh

baritoneosh Member

Thanks for the suggestions. But I'm lloking for something a bit different. As you see in Whit Froidays there are some fun marches, I heard "bullseye" in the past and other "different" marches.

Any suggestions like this. As I said, nothing too difficult and heavy just something that would be an impact and would sound good together.
  5. The Thomas The Tank Engine original theme makes a nice march.

I can't find a brass band playing it on Youtube, but here is the television version:

There is at least one arrangement for band:

Thomas The Tank Engine by Mike O' Donnell and Junior Campell; arr. Clive Lewis; published by Wright & Round Ltd., Gloucester, 1984.

You might want it a touch faster than the clip when marching. You might also want to rewrite or omit the bridge, as Clive Lewis has used something different from the original.
  6. baritoneosh

baritoneosh Member

Will look for this, surely there are some more suggestions out there by experienced whit friday bandsmen? ;)
  7. mattthebass

mattthebass Member

Steve Booth arranged the Blackadder March a few years ago, great if you would like to rest the bottom end of the band before the contest as opens with a top end fanfare, great also for short and long march downs as several good places to stop.

I have also heard sections of Pirates of the Carribean used to good effect in the past.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  8. Ali

Ali Member

The Chieftain has loads of impact. Its a good un!
  9. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

Westward Ho! is not the most scintillating march you have ever heard but is easily playable by a youth band (it's a bit of a Slaidburn-alike without being Slaidburn). My school brass band has marched with Slaidburn and Punchinello (not Whit Friday, mind!). Some of the more recent novelty/'popular tune' marches are a lot trickier than they sound, particularly for a road march. The Chieftain is a good call too.
  10. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

ps I've played the Thomas the Tank arrangement lots of times in both youth and senior bands- it's tricky enough sitting down let alone marching if it's the version I've played!
  11. Well, I gave the exact version in detail in case, among other things, someone else recalled it. As we don't know which version yours was, I am not sure where that takes us. The one we have is hand-written. Does that ring any bells? Coming to think of it, I think that there was one of those on there, as well as a whistle.:oops:

All that members of the rest of the band said was that it was a "nice" arrangement, and I don't recall any of them raising any difficulties. I played percussion, which I rewrote to make it more difficult - not for its own sake, but so that it actually sounded train-like. As it happens, the as-written percussion sounded very much like any traditional march, apart from the odd doing or toot, and might well fit the bill for a road march.

If it is a tad difficult, perhaps that goes along, to some extent, with the "something different" requirement.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  12. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

In that arrangement, there's a couple of distinctly fiddly bars before the cadence at the end of the main tune. It's also in four flats for Bb instruments, which might be asking for trouble with a youth band. It's the only TTTE arrangement for band I've seen.

Yes nice, but I don't think I'd recommend it for a youth band to march to unless they were distinctly good.
  13. What a pity. I can really picture it going down well.
  14. MoominDave

But it shouldn't be beyond the wit of man to write it out in a more friendly key with fewer semiquavers. You're right, it would be a nice choice.
  15. It is generous of you to say so. I just might sit down and transpose it. The practice will be good for me if I do so, but I doubt I'll get it done in time for baritoneosh's event - and I'm unsure if I'd be in copyright trouble if I did.
  16. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Without the correct permission you would, indeed, be in breach of copyright...
  17. It’s an interesting one, though, and I must look what the law and publishers’ terms and conditions say.

What Moomin Dave seemed to imply was that it was ok to alter the piece for that junior band’s own use. While I am sure that he would be assuming that the band in question had purchased a copy, as was I. I am not sure if he also assumed that permission would be required to transpose and tweak. If it is ok without seeking permission, there doesn’t appear to be any difference of principle if another person does the alterations as a favour to another band, and uses it in his own band when the occasion arises, again assuming that all bands that use the altered version have purchased their own copies of the original.
  18. MoominDave

I hasten to add that I wasn't recommending anyone break any laws - careless post of mine that assumed everyone knows what is and isn't okay in copyright terms. Maybe I should have put a cheeky ;-) after my last post!
  19. Clearly not everyone does know that. So, Dave, do you know whether it is ok to alter a piece in the way that you mentioned, or to do it as a favour - assuming that all concerned have purchased their own copies? The notes that I have now briefly read on the law seem to suggest that it is not ok without permission. However, I would have to read more to be sure that it is clear-cut.

Taking the law as stated in what I have read at face value, even making a copy to make the piece playable (e.g. where a drummer is confronted with a page turn when all four limbs are in use) requires permission. However, I expect that the courts would find that unreasonable. I frequently alter what I play to make it playable, in keeping with the style of the rest of the piece, suitable for a sole drumkit player rather than multiple players, etc. Perhaps, strictly, I should seek permission, or do so only if I write it down. The lines between what can legally be done - which sometimes includes should reasonably be done (whether or not, yet, tested in a court) - are not always obvious from what is written.

This is all very much worth the airing, but off-topic. I will probably restart the discussion on a separate thread after a little while.
  20. Backrowdiva

Backrowdiva Member

How about Punchinellie (a "mash up" of Punchenello/Nellie the Elephant with a bit of Pop goes the weasel thrown in for good measure), The Muppets Theme, or Gangnam Style, one of our horn players did it as a road march with YBBGB a couple of years ago and said it brought the house down