RNCM Festival this weekend

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by johnflugel, Jan 16, 2004.

1. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Just wondering how many people are going this weekend? I will be there tonight and tomorrow for 3pm & 7.30 concerts. Might make Dyke on Sunday night if I get time too.

Sure it will be a great weekend, some of the best conductors with the best bands. I have been 2-3 times before and it's always an exceptiona levent. If you haven't been before the venue is great, 400 seater (I guess) amphitheatre with great acoustic and close knit atmosphere. Loads of trade stands, foyer performances etc - well worth it.

If you want more details:

2. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

are the concerts in the concert hall or the opera theatre?
    think im gonna go to the fodens concert on sat nite, then il be out on the sunday for some beverages after 3 when the radio2 young brass soloist thingy session finishes
  3. T-Horn

T-Horn Member

think their in the concert hall aidan. :D
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Did anyone else hear Edward Gregson talking about it on the radio at teatime this week? They also had David Childs in the studio, talking and playing, and they introduced the feature with an extract of John Fletcher playing the Gregson Tuba Concerto.

Looks to be a good programme and it seems as if ticket sales are going well. just a pity it's not broadcast as it used to be when the Beeb ran it, as it's too far away for us poor folk dahn sarf :!: :wink: :lol:
  5. Fridge

Fridge Member

I went to the Grimethorpe concert last night as part of the opening and I thought it was great. Full credit to the piano soloist in competing with the band in shostakovich 2 and for managing to do the concert off just two days and not many rehearsals after the original sloist went ill. I think the program was superb covering a whole range of modern and traditional pieces.
    It sets me up for a good weekend at the concerts!! :D :D
  6. Mark Bowater

Mark Bowater Member

BB2 Radio 2 soloists:

When does this start on Sunday ?, as I'm planning to go tosee Cory & Dyke later on.

Does anyoneknow of any personel chnges in the bands, not seen anything but herd Dyke havehad changes on ornet section?
  7. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

yeah sion thomas has joined them
  8. Richard Dyson

Richard Dyson Member

The Brass Herald website www.thebrassherald.com is providing live coverage from the RNCM Festival of Brass, providing reviews of the concerts as they happen.
  9. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

I was very surprised to find a review of our concert on the site by the time I arrived home from playing in it! Well done to Richard and all at the Brass Herald for the informative coverage.
  10. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

I'm so pleased to know there's another Wilfred Heaton work that is new to us (Variations), thanks to Howard Snell apparently. I hope it will appear soon on CD for us all to hear. So much of Heaton's music is truly original and exquisite.
  11. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

I went to the Grimethorpe, Faireys & Fodens concerts, all had highlights and they all should be congratulated.

The undoubted highlight for me was the amazing 'Variations' by Heaton/Snell. It was a powerful, moving experience: enhanced by the presence of the composers family. The playing was of the highest order (man of the afternoon was Ian Porthouse, bang on form) and reminded me of the epic performance Brittania gave of the same composers 'Partita' under Howard Snell in 1992. I know it's a cliche: but I a had a shudder up my spine on the final chord - a performance I will never ever forget. Bram Tovey, Edward Gregson, Paul Hindmarsh & Elgar Howarth were all on their feet to applaud...that says something.

Another highlight was Fodens encore, the second movement of 'Songs of the Morning'. Beautiful playing and a truly great way to end the day.

12. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Thanks for the compliments John. I'm lucky enough (along with Martyn Booth, 3rd cornet) to have been on both the Heaton performances you mention. The Heaton / Snell thing really seems to work!
  13. Mark Bowater

Mark Bowater Member

Did anyone hear them last night, what were they like ?, had to work so had to go after Cory.
  14. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

by "them" do you mean dyke? ;)
    they were very good. I found it a lot more enjoying than the 2nd half of the cory concert we snuck in for
  15. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

Highlight for me was always going to be, and most certainly was, the RNCM All Stars playing Elgar Howarths transcription of Pictures at an Exhibition. (I didn't get to hear much else though as the ISB were at Warrington for the weekend.)

I was fortunate enough to have been at the 1st performance of this version of Pictures at the 1978 Proms with PJBE.
    It was great to hear it again after so long.
    I must mention the picc. playing of Jamie Prophet. Absolutely secure no matter what dynamic or pitch, fantastic. John Miller on Eb trumpet was astounding too. Benny van Dijk on bass trombone is not someone I had heard before but what sound in Baba Yaga! I could go on but dinner is ready!

Many thanks to Elgar Howarth and the RNCM All Stars for a memorable 30 minutes or so!
  16. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Quite so - so do as Edward Gregson asked on Sunday night, write to Roger Wright, controller of Radio 3 and complain about the BBC's absence.
  17. James Yelland

[quote="Brian Bowen
    I'm so pleased to know there's another Wilfred Heaton work that is new to us (Variations), thanks to Howard Snell apparently. I hope it will appear soon on CD for us all to hear. So much of Heaton's music is truly original and exquisite.[/quote]

Amen to that. This was the highlight of the entire weekend, for me.
  18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Ben van Dijk is a very fine bass trombonist, playing with the Rotterdam Philharmonic as well as being a tutor at the RNCM. He has two fine solo albums to his name ("Nana" and "First Song") with some excellent contra playing as well as bass trombone. The cds are available from www.Warwickmusic.com. He also has his own website and a forum devoted to the bass trombone: www.Basstrombone.nl
  19. James Yelland

[quote="James Yelland

Quite so - so do as Edward Gregson asked on Sunday night, write to Roger Wright, controller of Radio 3 and complain about the BBC's absence.[/quote]

Further to my comment, the address is Roger Wright, Radio 3 Controller, Broadcasting House, Portland Place, London W1A 1AA.

Pick up your pen and tell him, as Gregson said, what a disgrace it was that the BBC was not there. Letters are better than emails, which will almost certainly go to the customer service department, which as we all know is usually synonymous with 'waste paper basket'.
  20. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

I have just send a letter to Mr Wright:

I am under no illusions and recognise that the general public does not give a hoot about bands, and that the wider musical world tends to frown on us too - but I believe that it's the BBC's responsiblity as a non commercial and educational body to promote the best in as many areas of british musical life as possible. I don't think there is much doubt that the RNCM Festival respresents that.

How will the wider world of music appreciate the world of banding if it's main classical music station offers 'Padstow Lifeboat' once a month? :evil:

I think the more that write, the better - we cannot moan if we don't make an effort.

Thoughts please