RNCM festival of brass

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by MultiBlind, Jan 31, 2009.

1. MultiBlind

MultiBlind New Member

Who has been to 'The Northern' This weekend.

I saw David Thornton play a Euphonium Concerto with Electronics... very different.:clap:..

Did you see anything good?

2. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Saw Fodens last night - AWESOME! Variations on a Ninth was tight... Rex Richardson on trumpety trump was fab... the violinist made a few jaws drop, he was that good... Old Bram was the wonderful leader and orator that he always has been... Andy Scott and Peter Meechan's premier pieces were out of this world... Paul Hindmarsh was - well, Paul... Helen Fox's solo near the end of Paganini was sublime (and at the end of the concert too - top drawer!) and the tribute 'Abide With Me' to old friends caused many a tear in the audience.
    First class stuff - I hope the rest of the Festival has been as awe-inspiriing!
    :clap: :clap: :clap:
  3. mark_scott

mark_scott Member

I only saw fodens but I can agree whole heartedly with the comment above, the playing was amazing and the new works were out of this world, I loved the Andy Scott work like last year it just blew the audience away, can't wait to find out what he has up his sleeve next.
  4. Smart

Smart New Member

Only saw Faireys, great show, FREAKS was one of many highlights for me, very challenging programme, superb performance.
  5. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

Just got back from the RNCM this morning.

Was a fantastic weekend as always, think this is my fifth year running now I've been.
    Fodens concert was the best of the weekend. I think they had the pick of the programmes on their side with the premiers and the two great soloists.
    Also got to have a good chat with the violinist Mark Fewer that had played with fodens after that concert so that was cool.

All in all very impressed by all the bands and pencilling next years dates into the diary.
  6. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Yes indeed, and great to see them back after their recent problems. How refreshing to hear a band not trying to blow the roof off (are they normally less loud than some other bands, or did the MD temper the performance to the hall? Whichever it was, it worked beautifully). And also how refreshing to hear music being allowed to breathe. Slower tempos and less volume meant I could hear detail in pieces like the Arnold Fantasy I had never noticed before. The only piece which appeared to buck the trend was Salute to Youth which galloped along. Now, I wonder why that could be??

Fodens performance was very fine - in particular, Mr Tovey has done it again with another winning piece of musical theatre. The time must surely be due for a CD of his music.

However for me the single highlight of the weekend was Simon Dobson's new work Penlee. I've listened with interest to all his other recent pieces - Lyonesse, The Drop, Taliesen, but this one is in a different league, in my opinion. What a ferocious storm scene! And what a sublime musical description of the aftermath. And all as part of another fine overall performance by Leyland under another conductor not afraid to slow things down and let the music breathe.

Regarding Jockinafrock's reference to Mr Hindmarsh - well, yes. I have nothing but admiration for the man for all he does on behalf of brass bands, but in my opinion the proper place for critical analysis of the music is in the programme notes - some of his singing made me cringe! And less chat would reduce the chances of embarrassing gaffes like the one on Saturday night. After Andy Scott had spent a minute or two describing the rather introverted nature of the opening of his new piece, Hindmarsh said "what about the rest of it? Does it get more exciting?" A fair question, but he said it in the wrong tone of voice!
  7. andreab

andreab Member

I have to disagree, I loved Paul Hindmarsh's uninhibited ramblings. I'm sure the bands appreciated a rest too! As for his question to Andy Scott, that was just funny. The only thing that made me feel uncomfortable was when he kept saying 'you all know this piece' - and most times I didn't!
  8. MultiBlind

MultiBlind New Member

Did anyone stay for Brighouse, what/how did they play. I had to leave for my flight.

Looking forward to my countryman DK taking theem back to the top

9. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

I saw Brighouse and they played very well! The band seemed to enjoy themselves...some were even smiling after 'images'!!

Especially enjoyed Mike's playing of the Horowitz concerto, fantastic player...and Journey into Freedom! Special mention to super-deps Adrian Wileman on the front row and Mark Walters on flugel...both played absolute blinders!
  10. foxyflug

foxyflug Member

Helen who jockinafrock?

te he
  11. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

OMG! :eek: Forgive me Mrs Williams...! :wink:
  12. timps

timps Member

I travelled up on Friday night to watch Black Dyke, but have to say I came away somewhat dissapointed.

The playing seemed sloppy and not the usual immaculate Dyke and Childs performance.

Some good playing from the band and David Thornton was brilliant, Spectrum was the best piece IMO.

I suppose we can't expect them to play brilliantly all the time, can we?

I wish now that I heard Fodens, sounded as though they are still the band to beat!!
  13. andreab

andreab Member

Can anybody tell me how the programmes are chosen? Does Paul Hindmarsh choose each piece for each band, or give guidelines as to what type of pieces should be played, which composers etc? As there was a Vinter/ Wilby/ McCabe theme there must be some central control, but to what degree? Does there have to be a certain proportion of newly commissioned pieces at the festival?
  14. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Fodens, with Bramwell Tovey conducting, completed a CD recording on the weekend of the RNCM Festival of Brass.
    The title of the CD will be Maestro and then planned launch is at the European Brass Band Championships 2009 in Ostend.
    I'll post the track list just as soon as it's been confirmed to me, with correct spellings etc!
  15. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Judging from what Mr T said in his 4BR interview, it is going to include the Nine Daies Wonder. Great stuff!