RNCM Festival of Brass 2016

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DublinBass, Oct 21, 2015.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Haven't gone for a couple of years, but considering this year...who is planning on going this January?
    honestoil likes this.
  2. euphoria

euphoria Member

We plan to go again this year - this time we will be seven of us travelling from Denmark for our favorite combo of full english breakfast, brass music and lots of beers!
    This festival and the European Championships are the highlights of the banding year for me (as a spectator anyway).
    DublinBass likes this.
  3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Got our tickets this week. It's been a few years, but looking forward to it!
  4. euphoria

euphoria Member

We have expanded our group to 13. We have sorted out our hotels, airfares and festival tickets, so we are ready to go and quite excited after seeing the program for the festival. This should be a treat for everyone!
    DublinBass likes this.
  5. Gloin

Gloin New Member

Yeah, I am playing as part of the JRNCM Brass band: very excited!
  6. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Not going to the RNCM but am hoping to make it to Lille.
  7. tuba70

tuba70 New Member

Do not forget to book your tickets on 1st February!
  8. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

BBC Radio 3, tomorrow (Thursday 4th February) at 7.30pm:

Part 1: Grimethorpe Colliery Band, conducted by Robert Childs with Jamie Smith and Alexis Demailly (cornets)*
    John McCabe: Salamander
    Joseph Horovitz: Concerto Classico*
    Nigel Clarke: Further Adventures of the Same (first performance)

Part 2: Cory Band, conducted by Philip Harper
    John McCabe: Images
    Alexander Comitas: Audita Tremendi (first performance)
    Gustav Holst: A Moorside Suite
  9. euphoria

euphoria Member

In my opinion they chose the wrong half of each concert to broadcast, although I really liked both halves of the Cory concert. I would have preferred to hear the cornet concerto by Phillip Harper again. Tom Hutchinson was absolutely brillant! Grimethorpes first half was incredibly loud - not least the Nigel Clarke piece (and I am not normally against a well played FFF but this was pain inducing!). They were much better in the second half IMHO.
    DublinBass likes this.
  10. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Tend to agree - I would very much like to hear the Hilary Tann piece again. And yes, Grimey were rather loud, although I got the impression that they were merely playing the written dynamics. Philip Harper's concerto is recorded on Tom Hutchinson's solo CD, released last year. Most impressed by the fact that he'd committed the entire piece to memory.
    DublinBass likes this.