RNCM Festival of Brass 2008

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by James Yelland, Jan 23, 2008.

1. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Whoever wrote the notes on the RNCM website for Cory's gig at this weekend's Festival of Brass has been on the gin again - the Gregson Tuba Concerto is described as 'infamous', and the soloist is given as David Childs, euphonium. He may need a larger mouthpiece for some of those low notes....

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    RNCM
    Festival of Brass
    David Childs
    Cory
  3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I'll be there with my wife and in-laws. Anybody else going?

4. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

might turn up.

5. I'll be there...

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I'm just wondering if anyone has heard of dates for broadcast yet?

7. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

January 25 - Black Dyke
    January 27 - Foden's & Grimethorpe
    BBC3

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

From the interview with Paul Hindmarsh on 4barsrest.com:

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- they started on the 5th of Feb last year ... I'm just surprised at the lack of publicity for them!

11. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    RNCM
    Festival of Brass
    David Childs
    Cory
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

John, pieces will be distributed within the programme called "Afternoon Performance" but the schedule doesn't project far enough ahead to tell us when ... :mad:

14. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Courtesy of 4br:

"Chris Thomas: And for those of us that cannot be there in person can we look forward to the BBC broadcasting highlights of the Festival once again?

Paul Hindmarsh: Not to the extent that I would have hoped, if I am honest. Radio 3 will be taking 3 concerts for broadcast across a week of Afternoon Performance programmes in February. Radio 3 has chosen the Black Dyke, Fodens and Grimethorpe concerts"

Shame they didn't record them all AND THEN decide what they are going to broadcast!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  15. James Yelland

Absolutely. On the face of it they appear to have gone for names, rather than music. A great shame, especially as they will have missed what I thought were the two biggest highlights of the entire festival - in second place, Gareth Wood's energetic Actaeon, and first and foremost, A Forest Symphony by a young composer called Gareth Higgins. Really, I was absolutely knocked out by this second piece - so full of invention and quirkiness. A fantastic work.

Also, and I hesitate to mention it, but Fodens with Bram Tovey sounded, dare I suggest it, a little under-rehearsed. There were a number lapses in concentration in Contest Music which distracted my attention from what was, admittedly, an exciting reading. But it also seems to have been a late substitute for Bruce Broughton's Masters of Space and Time. Much though I love the Heaton, I have got several recordings of it, but I've never heard the Broughton and would have liked the chance. Wasn't this the piece that was substituted at some contest or other? Is there something wrong with it we don't know about?

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I'm listening at the moment to a recording I was sent ages ago and it certainly is an interesting piece of music ... much different from what you would expect from the composer. It seems to combine elements of various other composers,e.g., John McCabe (Horizon II), Arthur Butterworth, Wilfred Heaton and Robert Simpson. Maybe a bit repetitive in certain motifs used but hey-ho! It does sound more European in nature than what is generally offered in the UK.

17. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

Sir.
    Im SO sorry your attention was distracted, considering the Band saw Mr Tovey at 8 pm on Friday night....they did OK. What with the program consisting of a March a Overture, a brand new Concerto, a new arrangement of a film score three test pieces (two of which are among the hardest to play in the banding repertoire) and a pocket Mahler Symphony wrapped up into a 4 minute meditation by Wilfred Heaton. For "lapses in concentration" see blips and the occasional mistake...they happen, players are human.

18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

It was featured by the National Youth Brass Band last year, and I know that some items were recorded for a forth-coming cd, but I'm not sure whether the Broughton was one of them. It was originally commissioned for the Open in 2001, but "Les Preludes" was used instead.

19. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Blimey, it's no wonder we didn't come in the frame - we played the wrong piece :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2008
  20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- and that was the time you were conducted by what's-his-name ... erm, ... Doctor Who? :rolleyes:

21. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

I was pulled out of retirement (again!) by Glossop when Les Preludes was the piece....I'd probably have preferred the alternative ;)

22. James Yelland

Ah, so I was right then. Yes, they did OK.

Incidentally, I was intrigued by Paul Hindmarsh's hint that he had found a little secret hidden within Contest Music. We've all long known about the 'uncle Tom Cobbley' reference (as well as the other little jokes that Heaton includes in the final movement) but I had always assumed that it was a reference to the dense morass of notes which immediately precedes it. Hindmarsh seemed to be saying there was something else. I've listened hard but I can't think what it might be. How exciting! I love a riddle. Any ideas, anyone?