RNCM 2007 Festival of Brass

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by DublinBass, Jan 16, 2007.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I am very excited about returning to the UK in about 10 days for the RNCM Festival of Brass. It's been about 6 1/2 months since I was last in the UK which is my longest drought in nearly 3 years. I have been watching a steady diet of the Office, the EPL, Peter Kay( and during the holidays, Love Actually) to help me get through my withdrawl.

What tMPers are going? Is it a given that there'll be a social at the Scubar on the Saturday Night (preferably followed by a trip to the curry mile...my goodness, I have not had a proper curry in ages...they sell Pataks curry sauce at one store here...but I am rubbish at cooking it)...for that matter, I haven't had a proper ale in a bit either.

Anyways, I saw the concert programmes, and it looks like a fantastic weekend!!
  2. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

I'll be there on the Sunday playing. Our concerts a little bit on the early side to have a heavy session Saturday night though!
  3. leisa

leisa Active Member

whoo i am going on the sunday to watch Brighouse. Might be out sat night for a few drinks thou as i live in manc anyway :biggrin:
  4. Flugelmahorn

Flugelmahorn Member

Going to see Eikanger and Fodens on the Saturday. Really looking forward to it.
  5. screamlead

screamlead Member

Who is playing soprano corent for leyland?

going to watch leyland on the sunday - who is playing soprano for them now???
  6. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Such a trek from halls to get there (about 2 minutes! :rolleyes:)... i'm there all weekend, and shall join you for a few in Scu ;)
  7. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Lots of good things to enjoy again at this year's festival. My personal highlights:

• The two most exciting pieces for me were played back to back by the RNCM's own band - Robin Walker's Miners and Lucy Pankhurst's Heed The Word. I remember Lucy Pankhurst's contribution to last year's festival in the young composer feature, and Heed The Word, with a wonderful little surprise right at the end, was equally good. A star of the future, I hope. And with Four Temperaments finishing the concert (what a tour de force!), this was the best of the seven concerts for me.
    • Bram Tovey's new piece for piano and band - great fun. I always like listening to Fodens because they always look as though they are enjoying themselves (hardly surprising, given Tovey's wit as a compere). One or two other bands at the festival could take note and look a bit more cheerful! And on the subject of wit, thoroughly enjoyed Rote Fahne Musik.
    • Hurrah! Got to hear Altitude, two years ago since it was pulled from Brighouse's programme.
    • Ben Thomson's performance of the Horovitz Tuba Concerto, especially the expansive reading of the middle movement. Not even a pink tie and brown shoes could distract me!
    • Simon Dobson's Lyonnesse - I found it instantly engaging and much easier to digest on a first listen compared to his Taliesin piece last year.
    • The inclusion of a new piece by Elgar Howarth, only because I am pretty sure I heard him say, one or two years ago at the Brass Herald forum, that he would never write another piece for a British band. But he seems to have done so.
    • And the fantastic sound and presentation of Eikanger's entire programme.
    And loads more good things too numerous to mention.

One request - bring back Petroc Trelawney as compere!
  8. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

9. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I went to BAYV and Brighouse on Sunday, both great concerts. Possibly my highlight was David Bedford's Requiem, I hadn't heard it before and enjoyed it very much. I was also very taken with Gavin Higgins' Ivory Ghosts. I look forward to catching up with the concerts I couldn't get to (especially Eikanger) on R3 next week. I have to say I didn't miss Petroc Trelawney, though!
  10. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

BBC Radio 3 broadcast details

Broadcast details for this year's RNCM festival currently available for Monday to Wednesday;

Monday 5th February, 14:00
    Afternoon Performance, BBC Radio 3

Roberts: Sinfonia for brass, percussion and strings
    BBC National Orchestra of Wales
    David Atherton (conductor)

Simpson: Symphony No 6
    Bryden Thomson (conductor)

Elgar: Severn Suite
    Fodens Richardson
    Branwell Tovey (conductor)

Ball: The Undaunted
    Brighouse and Rastrick Band
    Alan Morrison (conductor)

Howarth: Hela'r sgarwnog ("Hunting the Hare")
    Buy as you View Cory Band
    Robert Childs (conductor)

Simpson: Symphony No 7
    Grant Llewellyn (conductor)

Tuesday 6th February, 14:00
    Afternoon Performance, BBC Radio 3

Simpson: Symphony No 8
    Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
    Vernon Handley (conductor)

Hesketh: Festive Overture
    Brighouse and Rastrick Band