Rival bands

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by chizzum, Mar 17, 2006.

1. chizzum

chizzum Member

What bands are rivals?
    Like eastenders and corrie, or man utd and man city!
    What about brass bands?
  2. i think in this day and age, full on rivalrys can't exist now, as all bands are constantly needing players, but 1 which seemed to be around was the hebden bridge/friendly/elland connection, although i think all 3 bands get on pretty well really

and think of all the bands in the huddersfield and surrounding areas, theres something like between 12 and 20 bands in that area, so there must be some kind of rivalry in there somewhere

and how about the saddleworth and tameside bands, thats gotta be a pretty close rivalry!
  3. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Loads and loads! Every band I have played with has had a rival "we MUST beat" band, tends to be a local thing, although not too severe! There's nothing wrong with a bit of friendly competition, we often exchanged guests, so a bit of friendlt banter is fine.
  4. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Haven't known any big ones since youth banding... but those were pretty vicious at times...
  5. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Years ago :)eek: ) there used to be rivalry between us (Hatfield) and the now 'deceased' Rossington Band, when we used to be in the same section (3rd). Then Rossington started improving and soared to the Championship Section! End of rivalry. :biggrin:

I suppose there is still a bit of rivalry, but very friendly (I think). And I'm sure Silkstone ;) won't mind me mentioning it. We have both risen through the sections together over the last few years, so it's been pretty interesting competing against them. Some very friendly, lively banter has taken place over the past few years. There perhaps is another band that we have in our mind 'to beat' if we are up against them, but due to past feelings, I will not mention them! :wink:
  6. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Surprisingly little rivalry in Tameside bands, Ashton are the undisputed best band in the area, and Stalybridge are unfortunetaly being relegated.

As for Saddleworth, the 4th section has most rivalry, my father plays for Uppermill who have strong local competition in Greenfield. However Dobx Youth and Oldham are both being promoted out of the equation. Carrbrook are also local.

Dobcross are the only top section band in the area, Milnrow are not too far away, but are not of the standard Dobcross have been reaching.

As for section 2, Delph are Delph (does make sense), and Boarshurst can be a strong band.

So its spread quite evenly, not much rivalry, but there are strong ties/friendships between bands in the area, so I guess its a great place to be for lower league banding.
  7. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

Smthills and the world!!! ( The United principle)
    Hoover and Eagley...
    Dyke and YBS/BAYV/Grimethorpe.... who have IMHO had the better of Dyke up until of recent for sometime!!! And the Childs' link!!!
  8. Aaaaah, when I was in my youth band (Rochdale Youth) our rivals were always Wardle. It was never anything viscious mind, and I think it's certainly gotten worse over the years (judging off posts, replies and topics I've seen on here over the years). It didn't matter that for at least 2 years solid Wardle whooped our butts..... because we didn't have to wear those stupid knee high socks, and we ALWAYS won as long as we avoided wearing THEM in public!!!!

Ironically, Dobcross Youth were also our rivals, and I now sit with JJ Lees who was their principle cornet when I was Rochdales principle cornet. My best friends, Steven Williams and Lisa Sarasini played respectively with Townley High School and Wardle!!

So if there's a message in there anywhere, it's to remember that whilst you're in these youth bands, getting narked at results and insulting other people/bands/performances... you WILL end up playing aside them one day, and if you're lucky, you'll get the friendships I did too!
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  9. chizzum

chizzum Member

Well there is still rivallry between rochdale and wardle! I should know more than anyone! But its parents most, kids just biccer! Adults are sinicer!
  10. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Is English your first language?;)

There is a band we have to beat, but they don't know that. It's all to do with past history, is thoroughly scandalous, scurrilous and possibly slanderous.
    And yes, we seem to be beating them so far...
  11. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Oh, do tell - we are all intrigued now! :D

Actually, as I come from your area and knowing some of your players, I think I can probably guess which band that might be and why!!!

You're probably right - those lawsuits do get a bit expensive don't they :(
  12. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

There's a largely unspoken rivalry between Kippax, Wakefield Metropolitan and Knottingley in Yorkshire, but we all do try and help each other out.
    We're just competitive mates.
    Aren't we !!!!!!!
    - Wilky
  13. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

My lips are sealed. You'll have to get me and Nanny Ogg drunk at Whit Friday.:wink:

I'm also intrigued. Who do you know?!
  14. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Since growing old, rivalry seems confined to the bass section in our band. I refer to the two Bb Basses as Waldorf and Statler and my mate on eb as the baldy boy scout
    Back in the day, I led a campaign of terror against woodwind players whilst at school - which was nice
  15. bandcampgal

bandcampgal Member

i no that in youth band ther wuz only ever one band we wanted to beat!
  16. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Mosh how can you say that about our brilliant BASS SECTION just hope they dont see this:biggrin: (LOL)
  17. paddo

paddo Member

Yes we were! only cause I am not there any more fella.........

Friendly banter I call it Wilky;)
  18. el maestro

el maestro Member

:clap: :clap:

lol - literally ;)
  19. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

i think there may be an inkling of a rivalry between rainford and another band of a very good standard in their section.
  20. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

lol! I think that rivarly is one sided sarah :tongue:

There is alot of 'friendly rivalry' generally ie: "We want to beat band X" I think that is a good thing and helps to motivate bands to perform their best.