Risk Assessments and Band Engagements

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Brassy Lady, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Brassy Lady

Brassy Lady Member

Hi all

A member of our Committee has suggested that we should perform a risk assessment for all our gigs (just the 3 last weekend...!). Was wondering if other bands do this, and if so to what level of detail.

Would appreciate any views and experiences!

Thank you.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  2. pbirch

pbirch Member

Many of the risks will be the same for each job you do, so you could produce a standard pro forma, with a space for any specific risks you may perceive.
    It would fall under the scope of good practice rather than a legal requirement, but could include things like manual handling (percussion and the tubas, chairs, crates for music and stands), access, travel and so on.
    You probably think about these things already, but a record of that thinking might be useful one day.
    At the risk of opening an old can of worms, it would be particularly important if you have players under the age of 18 in your band.
  3. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Make sure you note down if anyone farts loudly or breathes too heavily as this might indicate a risk! :roll:

Seriously, appoint people in the band who you know from experience are sensible and unlikely to take unnecessary risks with your instruments/members/the public. Most organisations that pay for you to play will have their own risk assessments for public performances already done, so you don't need to worry about most venues.

Someone in your band is bound to have a degree of common sense. Put them in charge.
  4. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Do brass bands have to have Public Liability insurance ? When I ran a pro band it was mandatory for most venues.

~ Mr Wilx
  5. Lofty Snr

Lofty Snr Member

We have it, but I'm not sure it's mandatory. In this litigious world (I blame the Yanks) I think you should consider it. As Mike Lyons says, find someone in your band with common sense and get them to sort it. I was going to suggest the committee,- then again, perhaps someone with common sense and some motivation might be better?
    Cheers, Lofty.
  6. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

Most band insurance policies include Public Liability these days - also, if you lay in a local authority venue, most insists on a minimum level too.
  7. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I haven't done that for quite a while Ha ! Ha !

Mr Wilx
  8. Pauli Walnuts

I'll have a P please Bob
  9. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I think we need a bit of a smile on here now and again !

~ Mr Wilx
  10. Pauli Walnuts

Indeed! I think we also need a risk assessment on some threads too! ;)
  11. ben16

ben16 Member

Someone could trip over a music stand and break their nose
  12. nethers

nethers Active Member

Risk: Portly conductor bouncing around on old, crumbling, creaky stage.

Worst case:

1. Creaking annoys audience, causes riot.
    2. Stage collapses, wakes drummer.
    3. 4 year-old on third cornet catapulted in to eaves. Nobody in band has CRB check so unable to rescue.
  13. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Most bands will have public liability insurance. If you do jobs for the local council, I'm fairly sure they require you to have it.
  14. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

We regularly have to fill in risk assesments when playing Chistmas stuff in shopping centres. They're mainly wanting to know that you don't intend to murder the shoppers. So leave 3rd cornet player Jason Voorhees at home for those gigs (or at least ask hime to leave the ice hockey mask and chainsaw in the garage). :)

The usual stuff they want to know is trip and fall hazards, electrical hazards, excessive noise(!!!!) etc.