Rising to a Crescendo???

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by amgray, Feb 2, 2004.

1. amgray

amgray Member

Anyone else noticed BBC News using this phrase recently?

Apparently in the sense used by the (semi-literate) journo's things have recently been "rising to a crescendo" for several stories on several continents. This is obviously a global phenomenan :shock:

Now call me old fashioned, (and musical terminology may well have been drastically redefined in my 5 yr layoff) but - I thought a Crescendo was a musical process of gradual increase of volume (and possibly intensity) not an end result in itself :wink:

Whatever next, will things diminish to a diminuendo?

And what will poco a poco do if made redundant? Yet another victim of modernisation!!
  2. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

I certainly have, infact thats where my signature came from, but was even more of a contradiction!

I suppose its the way the English language develops, words begin to have different connotations. Maybe the broadcasters who are using this terminology are very musically minded!!
  3. amgray

amgray Member

...and it obviousy takes a trombonist to be properly ironic :D
    Then again - I'm biased.
  4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

:lol: yea! I've noticed this!
  5. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

Of course..comes with the territory! :D
  6. amgray

amgray Member

BTW - I sat in your chair 20 yrs ago this year!!! :p
    Roger Webster was on Principal Cornet and Billy Rushworth on Solo Horn.
    An interesting time to be playing with a Colliery band, 1984..........
  7. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

Hope it isn't the same chair, would probably be a bit broken by now..lol :D

20 years ago, when i was born, and of course Billy is there now - kinda strange!!

An interesting time at the moment i can tell you..... :guiness
  8. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I always thought it was people trying to be clever but not knowing the correct meaning of the word?! I had an English teacher in middle school who always used the phrase. My class was full of kids who were learning music, and she wondered why we didn't pay any attention to her!!!
  9. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

Yeah, could be that as well!! :D
  10. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

I always assumed it was because people were afraid to use the word spelt c.l.i.m.a.x. in a public place!

11. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

ahem miss venus i think crescendo is actually derived from the italian language!! hehe (im gonna be riled for this im sure by all your carlton buddies) :D
  12. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

Yes Miss Ramsbottom, you are correct in the manner that the origins of crescendo are indeed Italian, however you must note that it is also a term that has been accepted into the English Language.

In 1066 when England saw the Norman conquest, French became the prestige language in our country. The years around this saw the addition of many French words to the English langauge which had also been developed from the invasion of the Romans (Latin) and the Angles (German). So what i am saying is that there are already many existing 'foreign' words in our language that have been accepted.

English is a living language, adapting to an ever-changing world, which in its turn requires new and varied means of communication. The English language has embraced industrial, technological and social changes and we as users decide what will and will not survive.
  13. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

Did you write this yourself??!!

:wink: hehe miss intellectual-aint ever accepting that your essays are rubbish with this kinda lingo!! you'd blow JB away!
  14. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

I just looked back at it, guess I do know some big words after all!! :p
  15. Steady on Becky!
  16. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

:oops: :oops: Have to stop writing, people may begin to think I'm clever! :? :shock: :?