1. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

I am sorry to announce that Lenny Old from the Durham Brass Band trust passed away yesterday following an illness. Len was a member of Murton Colliery for many years before moving on to Durham Constabulary. Lately however he has concentrated on his work with the Durham Brass Band trust.

Funeral arrangements will be made on Monday and I will post details when I know them. However, his widow has asked if a band can be formed to play at the funeral.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Len
    RIP Lenny Old
    Durham Brass Band
    Durham Constabulary
    Murton Colliery
  3. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Very sad to hear this news. He did some great work with the youth in the area supporting and encouraging them. His Durham weekend courses were excellent and he will be very much missed.

4. Sandy Smith

Sandy Smith Member

Very sad news indeed.
    I first met Len in the early 1980's as a tutor for his Durham weekend courses.

He worked tirelessly in giving the young aspiring players in the area the chance to learn from and make music with all manner of excellent players and teachers from then until now.

He was a proper bander who strived to keep the tradition of the brass band alive and developing for the future - often against quite tough odds.

The movement is much the poorer for his passing.

My thoughts are with Enid and his family.

5. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Very sad news indeed, and a sore loss to North East banding

6. HelenPlaysBaritone

HelenPlaysBaritone New Member

7. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Len's funeral will take place on Tuesday 17th August. 1pm at Holy Trinity church Murton then 2pm at Durham Crematorium. If anyone can play at the funeral please contact Sue Hayton on the 0191 3733205

8. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Very sad indeed - a fine fellow. :(