RIP James Doohan

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    RIP
    James Doohan
    Scotty
    url
    RIP James Doohan
  3. ComputerBloke

ComputerBloke Member

As a hardened trekky fan, I have to say I'm truly stunned.

:(

I think I'm right in saying that he's the first to croak it from the original crew?

4. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

I thought DeForest Kelly (Dr. McCoy) passed a few years back - 1999 I believe.

I'm not sure, but I think he was the first, and only other of the original cast that's gone before Scotty.

It's sad, but now I know what my grandparents were feeling when some of their favorite entertainers passed on.

5. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

James Doohan had been seriously ill for some time, having suffered a stroke, then more recently being diagnosed with Altzheimers Disease. It is sad news, but he had a long and varied life (he was a Spitfire pilot in the Royal Canadian Air Force in World War 2) and remained very active until a few years ago (even to the extent of becoming a Father at 80!). His portrayal of "Scotty" probably ruined his acting career, leaving him irredeemably type-cast, but it brought a great deal of pleasure to Star Trek fans. May he rest in peace.

Deforrest Kelly, who played Dr "Bones" McCoy in the original series, died about 4 - 5 years ago.

6. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

There's really only one way to send him off isn't there?

"It's worse than that, he's dead Jim!"

One of the people so incredibly familiar from my childhood, may he boldly go where only good men have gone before.

RIP.

7. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Aye, my favourite non-Scottish Scotsman. God Bless Scotty.

8. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

So what other non-Scottish Scotsmen are there? Well, Rod Stewart for one, I suppose.... :)

It appears Mr Doohan's ashes are going to be sent into space via rocket.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4702503.stm

9. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

10. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

11. Steve

Steve Active Member

Starting to feel old now, people are dying that I atually remember watching (all be it in repeats). What a shame, he is a star trek / film legend

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    RIP
    James Doohan
    Scotty
    url
    RIP James Doohan
  13. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I hope when they do send his ashes off into space they have a piper in full regalia playing "Amazing Grace", whilst Leonard Nimoy reads the Service For The Burial Of The Dead In Space.

I was shocked to hear how old he was. He must have been one the oldest in the original crew.
    BMB
    xx