Rimsky-Korsakov Anyone?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by eflatbass, Mar 30, 2011.

1. eflatbass

eflatbass Supporting Member

The question is: have any of those brilliant trombone players who frequent this forum ever tackled the Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto, and more specifically, have you performed it with a brass band?

I would be interested in finding out if there are indeed any arrangements already published for trombone and brass band.

Responses in Russian will not be considered!

2. eflatbass

I have answered one of my own questions! There is a brass band arrangement already in existence (by John G. Mortimer).
  3. euph77

euph77 Member

I have a CD of Black Dyke Mills ("Concerto") with Norman Law playing this, tho' I don't know the arranger without looking...
  4. Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy Member

I'm pretty sure it's Gordon Langford's transcription.
  5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  6. eflatbass

7. Bones

Bones Member

Yep, played it with Staffs. Myself and other soloists ran through the chosen solos for the European Solo Finals a few years ago.

I thought the scoring was a bit thick in the 3 rd movemnet, and there was some great cadenzas written.

Well worth doing.
  8. Colin D

Colin D Member

I seem to remember the cadenza's being a bit bonkers in the Langford arrangement - good fun though!
  9. Bones

Bones Member

Bonkers, probably more appropriate...lol

I am pretty sure they were transcriptions of some solo played by a famous trombonist. Not sure who.
  10. Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy Member

Bonkers is absolutely correct.

According the the part the cadenzas were composed by John Peterson, Principal Trombone Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra. They are just a bit different from the version I played for my grade 8, many years ago.;)
  11. Mattytheshark

Mattytheshark Member

I have performed it twice now but only with wind bands. The cadenza in the second movement is nice but I always found the written one in the last movement to be a bit boring so did my own. There's a good recording on Christian Lindberg playing it and the cadenzas are great (he did his own last movement one too).

It's a good piece and I hope you enjoy playing it with your band!
  12. eflatbass

I am sure it is a good piece, Matt, but Barry will definitely not be playing it!:)
  13. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I can't check at the moment but I'm pretty certain that Bob Merritt and the Canadian Staff Band recorded this in an arrangement by Robert Redhead(?). If it wasn't recorded I'm sure he played it at one of their annual festivals. Maybe others on here will be able to confirm.
  14. bigE

bigE New Member

Ian Bousfiled used to play it with Yorkshire Imps when he was a kid. Peter Kitson did the arrangement. Dont know how to get hold of it tho.
  15. trombonebabe

trombonebabe Member

played this today and the pianist completely lost the plot in the final cadenza so came in half way through - had to leave most of it out so that really was a bonkers cadenza but not for the right reasons. Gutted - used to love the piece.