Rimmer's "The Commonwealth"

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Mr. Stomvi, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Member

Am trying to find out when William Rimmer's "The Commonwealth" march was composed or 1st published. Anybody have any information ?

Thanks in advance !!

2. sionrhysjones

sionrhysjones Member

I've had a look through all the information i can find and closest I have gotten is that he wrote it sometime after 1910, this is when he became too ill to conduct. hope it helps a bit ! :S doesn't help that he wrote so many marches because i don't that many people are sure when half of them where written/published :p all great marches though :)

3. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Member

Hey - Thanks for the info. It's a start. Hard to piece everything together. Rimmer never wrote a bad march IMHO. Love most of his solos and arrangements also.

4. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

You've not played "Carnival King" then..... ;)

5. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

My British S & E history isn't brilliant, but I recall that although the idea of a British commonwealth of nations dates back to the 19th Century, it didn't become a formal arrangement until the late 1920's when the sun was well and truly setting on the British Empire. (The first Commonwealth Games took place in 1930). If Rimmer wrote the march at the time all this was going on (with a title like that I suppose it's possible) it would make it one of his very late pieces.

Just a stab in the dark.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  6. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Member

Well I just learned something :) You got me reading this morning and I bumped into this. Interesting.

http://www.thecommonwealth.org/Internal/191086/34493/history/

http://www.thecommonwealth.org/Internal/191086/34493/140633/timeline/

That Lord Rosebery was a forward thinking chap :)

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member