Ridiculous injuries

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by johnmartin, Sep 15, 2004.

1. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

There has probably already been a thread on this but I had to share this one with group. I am currently out of action having managed to give myself a nasty burn on the lip after an accident with a minced beef crispy pancake. Took a bite into it and the, extremely hot, filling oozed out of the side and down my lip. Ooh, painful.
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Pity you couldn't have got one to Larsson for last night ;)
  3. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I gave myself a nasty burn on a cheese and onion pie. I'd laready had a bite and the filling oozed out (like it does) on my fingers. I couldn't believe how hot it was. Blistered like blazes.:shock:
  4. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Not an injury to me but it was ridiculously funny to watch!! :D :D

Went for a chinese meal with Ploughboy and a few others including Mike Howley (formerly of Rothwell and YBS to name but a few) and after a few bevvies he decided to start on the flaming sambuca's...only... he left one burning away on the table a tad too long and when he came to drink it the glass welded to his lip and he poured burning sambuca down his chin and shirt!! Ouch!! :-? Laugh? I nearly passed away cos I couldn't breath for laughing!!

Don't know whether he managed it but he was depping with another very well known Chamionship band the following morning! :-(
  5. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

6. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

An ex conductor of mine couldn't make rehearsal one night due to him opening his microwave door and the contents of a Jacket potato exploding into his eye! :-o

The band was in fits of laughter for 5 mins, however i'm sure he didn't find it too amusing.
    Thankfully he returned the next rehearsal...no permanent damage.
  7. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Not ridiculous as such... but I trapped my hand inbetween 2 tables setting up for a band rehearsal earlier this year.... this was the result (see attached picture)... Needless to say, I was out of action for a week or so.... :lol:

Attached Files:

8. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

the tuba player i sit next to in the orchestra (plays for st dennis) managed to give himself a paper cut in the eye taking his music out of his folder!! thought that was very impressive!..........very stupid, but very impressive!!
  9. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

ok i was on a camp in the summer and i had an unripe apple thrown at me, and it hit me just above my elbow, and the next morning i couldnt move it, i got a lovely trip to hospital, and was in a sling for 2 weeks! all that from an apple!
  10. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Last year 2 nights before borders entertaiment contest, was milking the cows, things werent going to well and was getting rather annoyed with the useless animals! They were kicking and making rather alot of mess, anyway lost the plot with 1 and went to punch it on the nose but instead got it on side of jaw!! Ended up with 2 fractured knuckles and a hand the size of a football! Went to band next night, couldnt manage to play third valve, but wasnt going to miss contest.

Learned how to play all over again using left hand for 3rd & 4th valves and just managing 1 & 2 with sore hand, took alot of thinking and a few painkillers!! Think i shouldve got an extra prize for the pain!
    Moral of story, dont lose your temper or just punch something you know is soft, bet the ****** cow is still laughing at me.....!
  11. Mrs Womble

Mrs Womble Member

I got valve oil in my eye once and that hurts but I didn't have any problems with my eye sticking:D
  12. ratley

ratley Member

I fell off the band bus on Saturday night, just before our last rehearsal at Harrogate....massive bruise on my shin and a purple foot....
  13. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

This has to be one of the funniest stories I have heard in the last 12 months. You have no shame!

(I'm still laughing - sorry, hope your hand is back as good as the 'udder' one)
  14. Fridge

Fridge Member

Broke two fingers on my right hand, self inflicted cos I shut a car door on them!!
  15. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

not banding....but i had a migraine during the day an took pills to ease it off while i went to work, to do a wedding.
    I was really drowsy and walked into a closed door and nearly knockd myself out
    walked into about 4tables & ended up with 100's bruises on legs.
    dropped cream all over me, and knocked the vinegar over, the carpet stinks
    then on the night, i kept dropping ham n beef on the table as i was silver servingon the buffet, and nearly dropped the cake. and later butted the heating thing in the kitchen cause i bent forward :s
  16. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Me coming through a door carrying a disco light, the guy I was working with came steaming through trapping my finger between the light and the metal door handle.
    My finger swelled up to the point where it looked like the finger joint that took the brunt of the force had dislocated.
    As the swelling dropped, and I didn't go for any professional opinion on the injury until a couple of days later where it was still fairly painful. There was a bit of disagreement between the nurse and doctor as to whether I had broke my finger or not!!

It wouldn't have happened if we had seen each other through the very thin window that ran down the length of the door! :oops:
  17. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I fell off a bus too (not banding related but ......I'll share my woes anyway!)

I'd gone to France on a Skiing trip with school. The bus pulled up to the hotel, I took one step,slipped on black ice (the rumours going around school were that I'd broken my hip~I hadn't!) had an x-ray and three days of sitting in a cafe reading a book before I went near the snow. It turned out to be a very expensive book :rolleyes: !
  18. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I once played with a broken hand... it was in my younger days, and I was told I couldn't pull out because it was quite clearly my own fault.... I had been slightly drunk, and got into an argument with a french exchange student outside a pub... unfortunately he was staying with me, so it was a good thing he left the next day because I had to spend the whole time pretending I hadn't hurt myself... shaking hands with everyone as they left was AGONY!!

good thing I'm so much more responsible now...
  19. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

At a rehearsal last winter, on a very cold day, one of our cornet players showed up late and sat down without a chance to really warm up. He had come straight from work, and his cornet had been sitting outside in his car all day. He brought his horn up to play his first few notes of the evening, then put it down for a rest. Unfortunately, he took a chunk of skin off his lip which had frozen to his mouthpiece.

Fortunately he was back in action the following week.

20. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I still have no feeling in one of my toes after severing a nerve in my foot on a wine glass. Got out of bed in the middle of the night to go to the loo and trod on the wretched thing. I wouldn't have minded quite so much but the wine glass only had orange juice in it and it was the only night for some time I'd gone to bed sober. (I was a student at the time). Wrapped foot in kitchen roll and staggered off to loo anyway. Woken at 07:00 by housemate discovering trail of blood through house....

Rang casualty in the morning and was seen very quickly due to glass injury. I had to have an anaesthetic right into the wound which was then sewn up by a distinctly unsympathetic young doctor. In retrospect, I shouldn't have tried to bite his hand.
    Ah the joys of youth. Now I never do stupid things.