Richard Whiteley

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Craigsav83, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

2. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Wow thats realy depressing, I had no idea about it. Will not be the same no, I wonder if they will even air it anymore?
  3. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I've just heard about his on the telly. Sad news indeed.
  4. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

I am shocked. Its not often that I'm stuck for words. 61 years old. Not an age at all these days. He will be sadly missed. :(

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... and he was only 61 yrs old!
  6. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Just read the report on - sad news indeed. Another face that has been on the TV for many years passign away.
  7. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

I don;t know whether i missed it in the report, but how did he die?
  8. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

its so sad :( does this mean carol will have to present the whole show herself? i'll miss his daft attempts at jokes and all his ties! awwwwwwwwww i loved richard whiteley :(
  9. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Not 100% sure, but he was admitted to hospital in May with pneumonia, and he had a major heart operation a few days back I believe.
  10. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Oh i see, so it wasn't completley unexpected, still a shock though! Shouldn't be happening at his age.
  11. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

No. As has been said, 61 is no age. He had been making "steady progress" after his operation, but it seems there had been some complications.

He has practically been the face of Channel 4, and will be very sorely missed.
  12. postie

postie Member

Very sad to hear about Richard passing away I think in some respects you do take people for granted . Whenever you switched on Channel 4 around 4 in the afternoon you saw his happy smiling face. Really quite sad about his passing.
  13. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Just heard he died from pneumonia.
  14. Di

Di Active Member

Very sad news. He will be missed. :(
  15. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

I grew up with Countdown as a kid, but with University and work, I've not had the chance to watch recently, however, it is still shocking news.
    I remember Richard and Carol saying that if one or the other decided to retire from the show, then the other one would as well. I'm hoping that Carol will actually continue becuase Richard hasn't actually retired, and he would almost cerainly want the show to continue.

TIMBONE Active Member

I am not ashamed to admit that my eyes became a little moist when I herad this news.
  17. T-Horn

T-Horn Member

61 really isn't an age these days is it!! bit of a shock!!
  18. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Just read this.... I'm really shocked of the news... how sad.... 61 is pretty young.
    Such a funny guy...
    May he now rest in peace.
  19. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I was awoken by a text from little sister at 8.00 this morning telling me the news. It's very sad indeed, he was a legend.
  20. flower girl

flower girl Member

he was a legend, i've grown up with countdown and i am very sad that he has passed away. 61 is pretty young, but every one's time comes eventually and atleast he will be remembered for his fantastic personality and dedication to his job