Richard Burns - Former WRC Champion - Looses fight for life

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Ruthless, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Ruthless

Ruthless Member

I could not believe the news I saw today that Richard Burns has lost his fight for life against his brain tumour. My husband only found this out today (three days later) when making a quick look at Richards Website to see how he was doing. This piece of news has unfortunately been eclipsed by George Best loosing his fight for life on the same day.

Richard was an outstanding driver and was still in the height of his career when diagnosed with a tumor 2 years ago. He died at the tender age of 34 and had a lot of racing ahead of him - sadly this will now not be realised. He came across as a true gentleman whose achievements in the difficult sport of rallying made you feel proud to be British.
  2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Yes, it's very sad. I heard about it on Saturday morning, because he lived in the same county as me and it was "local news". A terrible waste of talent.

3. Trog's

Trog's Member

Big loss to British motor sport as he achieved so much with so much dignity, I saw him win the wrc title in Wales. Such a shame to happen to someone so young!
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

There was a brief tribute on BBC2 on Sunday afternoon, but unfortunately it was unannounced, so many people who would have liked to see it wouldn't have known it was on. Always a tragedy to lose someone so talented at a young age, but somehow even worse when he had seemed to be over the worst.
  5. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Indeed it was a real shame to hear of his death, unfortunately the news seemed to be eclipsed by George Best and all the tributes for him.
    Always tragic when someone has to die so young.
  6. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

A terrible shame. What a talent he was.
  7. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

A very, very talented driver, and even in the blokey world of rallying, he stood out as a top bloke. Such a shame that he wasn't able to develop his skills further - almost certainly he would've won another World Championship, if not several more.
  8. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Even more tragic when he was struck down by something even medical science could do nothing about. Not wishing to speak ill of the dead, but Best did contribute heavily to his own downfall with the drink. Burns was just desparately unlucky.

Despite being a bit of a petrolhead I only found out about his death in the free paper on the bus this morning. As England's only world rally champion, and one of the finest all round drivers I've ever seen, motorsport has lost one of it's brightest and best. Worse yet, hardly anyone seems to know.
  9. Melph

Melph Member

I had no idea this had happened until i read this thread (thank you)

Same age as me.... has made me stop and think and makes me grateful for all that I have in life.

What a shock! What a driver....... what a sad day for motor sport.
  10. julestools

julestools Active Member

I only just found out too. A great loss to the world of rallying.
  11. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

He was to English rallying what George Best was to Northern Irish football.

It's slightly ironic that a couple of weeks after a number of Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish fans complained to Radio 5 Live about their biased coverage of English sport, more air-time was devoted to Best. In fact, I was appalled that Burns' death didn't even get a mention on what is supposedly a sports oriented section as it is obvious that a number of rally fans still don't know.

All in all, 2005 has been a tragic year for rallying with Michael Park's death on Stage 15 of this year's Rally GB. Burns and Park had been team mates which adds even more sadness the past couple of month's events.

JOCKBLAST! Member

I agree.
    Richard Burns was a hero for everyone who loved motorsport.
    Someone who came across as a true gentleman in a world of bull!!
    I'll raise my glass to Burns and Park.
    What a combination in that big rally above!!!
  13. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Can I say a big thank you to Top Gear for at last recognising the talent and bravery of Richard Burns in their show tonight. I bet there are many Rallying fans for whom it was the first they heard of his death.