Rhyl Festival of Brass Cancelled for 2005

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by del thomas, Feb 1, 2005.

1. del thomas

del thomas New Member

Rhyl Festival of Brass is cancelled for 2005

It has been announced today with great regret and sadness that the long established Rhyl Festival of Brass will not take place this year. It has been decided, for various reasons, not least because of a Youth contest being held on the same day at Pontins, to suspend the contest for 2005. The contest has been a popular date in the calendar for many bands and has been at the Rhyl Pavilion Theatre for the past 13 years.

Established in 1992 by Mr Giles Ballisat and the late Mr Gwynfor Davies it has become a permanent fixture on the Brass Band calendar and has attracted 100s of bandsmen and women from all over the country over the years. A Solo, Duet & Quartets competition was held in conjunction with the Senior band contests which attracted entrants from as young as 5 years of age.

Current Director Del Thomas said, "it is a great shame for the town of Rhyl and indeed Denbighshire as a whole to have lost this contest but we hope that after a break of 12 months, it will return in 2006. As a bandsman myself, I have been competing at Rhyl for many years and it has always been a date that we looked forward to as a team-building day for the band".

A regular attender of the Festival for many years and Musical Director of the Lions Youth Band, Nigel Birch commented "As the current Youth Section Champions we would have loved the opportunity to have defended our title in 2005, the news that the festival will not be going ahead is very sad not only for youth bands but also the Solo, Duets & Quartets competitions where our younger players have gained valuable performance experience over the years. The Rhyl Festival of Brass has been one of the highlights on our contesting calendar".

The contest is indebted to both Rhyl Town Council and Denbighshire County Council for the financial support they have given over the years.

Mr Thomas went on "Can I just take this opportunity to thank all volunteers and staff at The Rhyl Pavilion theatre under the leadership of Mr Gareth Owen who have given their time to make the contest, in my opinion, one of the best organised on the Brass band calendar. They have been involved in all aspects from time-keeping and registration through to preparing food and much-needed cups of tea and they really are a fantastic group of people. I would also like to express my special thanks to Mrs Sue Jones who has become well-known to all competing bands as their daily point of contact".

Del can be contacted at the following:-

Released by:- Del Thomas, 0782 104 8716
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2005
  2. dyl

dyl Active Member

Sad to hear this - always enjoyed competing at the Festival. In recent years, we've alawys tried our best to compete, being one of the local bands, even though the timing of the contest hasn't always been ideal, being so close to end of year school exams.

I just hope that whatever the problems are, they can be ironed out, so that the Festival can bounce back better than ever in 2006.

All the best.
  3. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

What a shame , it's a great competition with decent prize money and a great venue to play , I have played and depped at Rhyl since the first festival in 1992 , been lucky enough to win with bands on a few occations. It's dissapointing as the Beaumaris Band were looking to enter this year after a couple of years out.
    I hope the festival can come back stronger next year.
  4. Heather

Heather Member

Sad news. It was a great competition held in a great theatre.
    Its always been a favourite of our Bands' and we've been very successful there.
    Will miss it.
  5. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

Ive been doing the festival since i was YOUNGER, couldnt believe it really as ive had some really nice memories with the youth band. Im sure our band will miss it too
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  6. dyl

dyl Active Member

7. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

What a shame! We were hoping to defend out title! :-(
  8. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

That's a shame, would have enjoyed going to Rhyl this year.

Are there any other competitions held in North Wales this year apart from the Eisteddfod, Pontins and the other Rhyl contest?
  9. stotty74

stotty74 Member

Shame its gone. I thought it was one of the best organised contests around. Our Senior band returned there last year after a few years away, and were looking forward to returning, plus the Youth band have competed the last 2 years and were planning to go again this year.

Don't know of any other contests in North Wales apart from the ones mentioned. Does anyone know yet why it was cancelled?
  10. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

I think it's the same weekend as the Pontins Youth Championchip Karl
  11. stotty74

stotty74 Member

We knew about the Pontins contest, and it was a difficult decision, but we were planning to go to Rhyl anyway. Looks like its Pontins now, which should be a good contest.