Rhapsody in Brass

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Pythagoras, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Can anybody recommend a good recording of Rhapsody in Brass by Dean Goffin. We've played it recently and I really liked it, but not sure what CD to buy.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2007
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There's a few recordings available but you can get the Grimethorpe one at Chandos for a fiver!
  3. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

I like the recording by Black Dyke on the Polyphonic label. They are conducted by James Watson and I think the CD is called Classics for Brass or Brass Band Classics or something like that.

The recording is from about 1992 or something about then. It might have been James Watson's first CD recodnig with Dyke. If not certainly one of the earliest.

Whatever, I enjoy Rhapsody on that CD.
  4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- you are correct and funnily enough, the CD is called Rhapsody In Brass, Masterworks for Brass Band - Volume One. Release date 1993 and catalogue number is QPRL 061D.
  5. Forest Gump

Forest Gump Member

6. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

You can also add Woolston Brass (David Gallagher) and their CD 'Millenium' (1998; CDWB 3896340/01)

8. Know that one and it's a very good one, too. I can certainly recommend it.

I have a recording on 78 rpm of st hildas colliery band playing this epic,but you will need a wind up gramaphone to play it.
  10. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Blimey Stuart, you have a recording of St. Hildas? I imagine there's a fair few historians who would pay good money for that!

I am mistaken about the rhapsody in brass 78, the recording on 78 is in fact LIFE DIVINE on the Zonophone record, I thought it was a bit funny as St Hildas wrapped up in about 1937 and it was not written till the 40s. I do have the RCA recording live at the Albert Hall massed band concert which is very good.
  12. baritony

baritony New Member

buy as you view brass band classics volume 1v great choice
  13. Highams

Highams Member

14. KASEY

KASEY New Member

Worth buying the Dyke Rhapsody in Brass from the Nineties, just for the stunning principle cornet playing alone.
  15. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

If I'm correct the principal cornet player for that recording was Lee Rigg. I think the recording came between the first Roger Webster reign and Ian Porthouse being appointed.
  16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I'll second that ... Lee Rigg is listed as principal.