Rhapsody for Euphonium

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by sugarandspice, Jun 11, 2004.

1. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

I know there are threads on euph solo's but this is a little more specific, and it has a purpose (i promise!)

I have the Piano accompaniment to it, and have the brass band arrangement (*bows down to lanner*-thank you!) but was just wondering if anyone knows if there is an arrangement for wind orchestra?

Or know of any other good euphonium solos with wind orchestra accompaniment?

(am aware that this is a BRASS BAND forum, but unfortunately we have to accept that flutes and oboes do exist too, never mind!) :D
    *hides from any flute players*
  2. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Who wrote the particular Rhapsody for Euphonium that you are asking about?
  3. sugarandspice

James Curnow
  4. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

There is definately a Wind Orchestra arrangement for the accompaniment out there, as it is on Steven Mead's CD "Symphonic Variants."
    The CD is sponsored by DeHaske and has music on it that is supplied by them, so i'm sure that if you check with DeHaske they should have the accompaniment.
    Good luck :wink:
  5. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

While it's for others to say whether it's good or not, my "Euphonium Music"* is soon to be published in a version for wind (concert) band and another for full orchestra. For details contact Rosehill/Winwood Music (tel. 01296 655777).

*The band and piano accomps. were published in 1984.
  6. sugarandspice

sounds good,

what standard is it?
  7. ted

ted Member

Steven Mead rates the difficulty of "Euphonium Music" to be at 5 (out of 5).

It's a good piece of music that really shows off the euphonium. I think it's hard because it tests all aspects of playing, stamina is also a major factor.

8. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Bloody hard! Couple of fellow students at Hudds did it for their recital, and both had really good attempts at it. But I think both of them would admit that it was one hell of time preparing it! ;)
  9. tim

tim Member

If you look on steven meads library it lists what the piece's are accompanied by and you can find many popular ones accompanied by wind orchestra.
  10. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Euphonium Music was also recorded by Nick and/or Bob Childs on a CD of the same title (WoB Ref: CD24501).

Sorry; don't know how to do the link thing :oops:
  11. jonford

jonford Member

I really like it! But I can't play it yet :cry:
  12. Vizcaya

Vizcaya New Member

There are arrangements of mr Sparke's well known solos Fantasy for Euph. and Pantomime for euph and WB.
    A couple of other pieces that also have wind band acc. available:
    Wilby Euph. Concerto, Varied Mood, Horovitz Euph Conc.
    I'm sure there are a few others as well.
    btw, good to hear about the new wind band arrangement of Euphonium Music, mr Bowen.
    Should be good, I look forward to hearing it.
  13. David Childs - Metamophosis is all Euph and Wind Orchestra, some great stuff on there although it seems alot may be "specials"
  14. sugarandspice

I've got that one! :D Hoping to play it for my music assesment next year (if i can play it all by then!)

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for your help everyone! think i will have to sit down with the conductor, (and discuss how much money i can spend!)
  15. Mark Bousie

Mark Bousie Member

Can I also recommend Vintage by the American composer David Gillingham (very hard for both band and soloist, but great stuff) and Fantasy Variations by the Japanese composer Yasuhide Ito (not as difficult,but just as good. May be tricky to get hold of the parts though).

Curnow has also written a Concerto for Euphonium and Wind Band aswell as the Rhapsody and Symphonic Variants.
  16. Vizcaya

Vizcaya New Member

The brilliant Norwegian Euphonium player Tormod Flaten has got an extensive repertoire list on his website which you might find useful. It includes solo rep. for euph and brass band, wind band, orchestra etc.
    Just follow the link below:
  17. sugarandspice

I've found it!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'm sure nobody really cares, but im happy because i've found it!!-think its going to have to be sent from America tho.

Anyway-just wanted to say thanks for your help people! :D

(this has now made my week- oh god im so sad!!) :D
  18. Dave Thornton

Dave Thornton Member

The brand new concerto by Peter Meechan, Three Stories - Three Worlds, is soon to be available for Euphonium and Wind Orchestra. Certainly worth having a look at!
  19. sugarandspice

20. sugarandspice

I played it with the wind orchestra last night and its lush!! absolutely lush!! the music has come all the way from America and its great! someone has to come and listen to me when i play it at our next concert! :)