Rhapsody for Bb Baritone - P.Sparke

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tonetastic, Feb 11, 2005.

1. tonetastic

tonetastic New Member

Just wondering if there is a CD recording anywhere of Rhapsody for Bb Baritone by P. Sparke?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Bb Baritone - P.Sparke
    CD
    anywhere
    Bb Baritone
    P. Sparke
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I, personally, haven't seen a recording of it although a while back I think (not 100% certain) that Steve Booth mentioned something that he was going to record it. I also don't know if it has been scored for full band. Any idea if the tuba concerto (from which it originated) was completed? Maybe Mr. Sparke can help here.

4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I thought there was a Concertino for Baritone by Sparke based on a tuba solo (is that the same one and I am just mixed up or does he have two baritone pieces)?

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I have the piece in front of me and for precision, it is entitled 'Rhapsody for B flat Baritone (adapted from 'Concertino For Tuba'). We were both almost right (or wrong). :redface: Still, I have never seen the 'Concertino For Tuba' anywhere. :confused:

6. DublinBass

I hate to put you on the spot with P. Sparke possibly reading this...but is it good?

I ran across it at the local music store just yesterday and was debating on whether or not to get it.

7. HBB

HBB Active Member

Which shops do you go to. I can never find any music for brass band instruments in normal music shops :cry:?

8. DublinBass

They had a small section at Hooters (at the Harlequin)

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I bought it for sight-reading from Just Music for £4.25 many moons ago. It runs okay and can be mastered in a relatively short time. Quite a few melodic moments throughout.

10. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

'tis a cracking piece. I played it for Grade 8 (admittedly on Euphonium though!!)
    That was 4 years ago, and I don't think there was a recording of it around then.

11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

ooo-errrr! :redface: ... I've just found a recording of the 'Concertino For Tuba'. Jimmy Gourlay plays it on Master Brass, Volume 9.

(... takes cellophane off to play it!)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Bb Baritone - P.Sparke
    CD
    anywhere
    Bb Baritone
    P. Sparke
  13. tonetastic

tonetastic New Member

Yes, it is a cracking piece........Thank you all for your help!
    Will try to get a hold of the 'Concertino For Tuba' to see if it is similar.....

14. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

I don't think the Rhapsody has ever been recorded.

15. flatatone

flatatone Member

Just read the music!!!

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Looking at both part and listening to the tuba version, all is virtually identical up to the cadenza, which is different ... and some sort of development section continues with a second cadenza (with multiphonics included) .... exceptional playing here, by the way! The Vivo (crotchet = 144) section is the same as the baritone solo until what seems like a free session (?) appears, backed with percussion only (this is where the dal segno is marked). After the return of the Vivo section, the tuba part mirrors that of the baritone part. So, the Rhapsody is a cut-down version of the tuba Concertino with a small, bridging cadenza.