Revisiting when to applaud...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DublinBass, Feb 19, 2012.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

2. Interesting article! when it comes to brass bands i'd like to see some applause between movements in pieces and especially concertos! Whenever I listen to a concerto, I think the silence between movts. is a bit awkward.. a bit of applause would surely encourage the soloist would it not?! :)
  3. RossAB

RossAB Member

I think it can often depend on the piece of music with regards to applause between movements. I was at a concert recently where the gap between movements without the applause did sound a bit odd due to the way a particular piece was written, but there are others that I personally think flow much better without anything in between. Although having said that, I wouldn't criticise anyone who did applaud between movements because, at the end of the day, they are just showing their appreciation for the music and the way it has been performed.
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

It always strikes me as strange if you frown on applause after individual movements for fear of interrupting the flow of the music, and then have to listen to various fidgetting noises/retuning etc from the orchestra before they restart.
  5. ibrox

ibrox Member

I played at the new DFDS Seaways contest in Dover last week and the format was Hymn tune, solo, extended work - ie a bit different from the norm. My band were first on and when we finished playing our hymn we were greeted by silence. I think (hope!) this was more to do with the audience being unsure whether they should clap than anything else, but it certainly didn't help us. The audience plays an important part in the live music experience and I would like to see a more spontaneous approach from them. I'm sure they would be rewarded with even higher levels of performance in most cases!
  6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

This is a pet hate of mine - it completely destroys the flow of the music. In every instance I have ever been involved in of this, the retuning did not make the orchestra sound any more in tune than it was previously. Do not understand why some orchestras do it.
  7. Stracathro

Stracathro Member

I think with a Hymn Tune it's rare to follow with applause no matter the quality of the performance. A lot of the audience obviously will be thinking of the words and so a reverent/respectful silence often seems more appropriate.
  8. davethehorny

davethehorny Member

Did I imagine it or did I read in one (or more) contest program(s) that the audience is requested to refrain from applauding bands as they take to the contest stage?
  9. JDH

JDH Member

I can never see the point. Decent player will have known if they are out of tune and adjusted tuning accordingly during the performance. Those that can't hear are hardly likely to tune well anyway.

For when to applause, it should be optional. Some pieces can be spoilt by applause between movements, while others cry out for it.

A pet hate of mine is a quiet ending of piece being ruined by too quick applause
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  10. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

No, I've seen that a few times too. I always assumed it was to avoid the audience reaction letting the adjudiucators know when one of the 'big boys' is on stage, but never really saw the point because they'd probably figure it out from the first few bars anyway!
  11. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

A pet hate of mine is not being allowed to applaud a musical performance as part of a more traditional church service...

I remember such a service when the vicar had started requesting that the audience refrain from applauding whilst the service was going on! In the middle, our training band played a number of pieces, but the one that sticks in my memory is The Irish Blessing. At the end of the piece, each of the youngsters who played the quartet stood up one by one as though the audience where applauding; of course, this was to the resounding sound of silence!!!
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  12. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

Probably the first note :clap:
  13. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I still have ingrained in my memory our former pastor saying "...and you're allowed to clap in a Lutheran Church."

It helps if somebody like the pastor starts the applause as then everybody knows it is acceptable.

I think if no applause is or isn't desired, the simplest rule of thumb would be to take the cue from a conductor. If the conductor doesn't want applause between movements, don't put your arms all the way down. As somebody mentioned, time between movements can be too long and akward.