Reveille

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by TuTuKu, Nov 6, 2004.

1. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

Which Reveille?

Which reveille do you play for Rembembrance Sunday?

I have two versions:

This one (which i think is also called Rouse) and another that i can't find on the internet! It starts on an F minim and then goes up to an A crotchet, C crotchet then up to an F minim. It is much longer that the above. This is the one i have been playing for the past couple of years

Whilst trawling the internet to try and find the notation for the other 'reveille' i have.. i also found this...

So which do you play? and which do you suggest I play - bearing in mind it's a RAF association service I'm playing at?

Thanks, TuTuKu

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Rembembrance
    F
    Reveille
    internet
    mind
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I suggest you contact someone from RAF Music Services to see whether they will be expecting a particular one. I know I have been thrown more than a little on occasions when the cavalry reveille has been used rather than the more traditional one, and you don't want people thinking anything's gone wrong on such a solemn occasion.

5. andyp

andyp Active Member

I've always used the "Rouse" one. I'm led to believe the words (unofficial, obviously!) are "get out of bed, get out of bed, you lazy ******".
    I was told to use this one years ago as the one in F is an American one, or something?
    ("Rouse" is also easier to play when it's cold!)

6. MartinT

MartinT Member

Open to correction on this, but I think the one in F is the standard British Army Reveille, transposed to F to make it easier to play - if you think about it, on a bugle it would go straight up to top C, which many cornet players would find a bit worrying.

Personally, I've never been a fan of hearing the Rouse played at Remembrance services, exactly because my Dad taught me those words to it! However, the people whose opinion matters are the local British Legion, assuming they're organising it... if they're happy, who am I to argue?

7. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

This year will be my scond year at it and i always play the 'short' one as i believe the other one can take a while

8. Jasonp

Jasonp Member

The Reveille played at The Festival of Remembrance is the Cavalry version which is played on an Eb cavalry trumpet by Cavalry musicians. You can play this on your Bb instrument with all three valves down starting on F# and you'll even get an authentic cavalry trumpet sound. You should only play this if it's at a cavalry memorial or if it's requested.

The infantry, short version, played on Bb bugle is the standard Reveille that you should play on your cornet/trumpet/bugle.

9. hey, i thought it was all played with open valves, the one we are playing (and there is only one British version) can be played as usually is played on a bugle.

Rob
    Haligax BBGB

10. andyp

andyp Active Member

If in doubt, ask, he who pays the piper calls the tune and all that!

In Spike Milligan's war memoirs he describes the laziest bugler ever, who used to push the door open with his foot, play Reveille (while still lying in bed) then shut the door and go back to sleep!
    I'll think of that while I'm playing it, freezing to death in the middle of the road at Mawdesley, by the War Memorial!

11. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

The 'Tunes and Toasts' book contains a very long (almost symphonic length! :)) Reveille which I personally have not heard played anywhere! ;-)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Rembembrance
    F
    Reveille
    internet
    mind
  13. smurf

smurf New Member

I played in the Royal Artillery (TA) Band for a few years and we always played rouse, again you might want to ask as you are playing for the RAF!

Good luck I'll be thinking about those of you who are playing on a cold, damp and miserable sunday in th UK.

Just moved to OZ so I should be a little warmer this year!

14. Jasonp

Jasonp Member

There are two British versions. The Infantry last post and reveille,usualy played all open on a Bb cornet/bugle.
    Then you have the Cavalry version which is played on Eb cavalry trumpet, the open harmonics are different to a Bb intrument, so if you dont want to worry about any valves then you can play it, as I said in my other post, with all valves down starting on F#. This I belive is the call that TuTuKu was asking about in the first post.
    Trust me on this, I served 6 years with a cavalry band and the last ten with an infantry band and play them on a regular basis.
    If in doubt just play the short infantry rouse.
    http://www.nevilley.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/trumpet/rev.gif

15. Owen S

Owen S Member

It turns out there are three versions: Rouse, Long Reveille and the Charlie or Naval Reveille.

Link to mp3 files for all three

I think Rouse is the normal version used, but this took me a while to get used to. Both my school bandmasters were ex-marines and taught everyone the Naval Reveille, or at least a simplified version of the call in that link.

I imagine that's just the way the navy do it, but since the national Remembrance events are done by the army, and there are many more army and ex-army players around than from the navy, Rouse has, unsurprisingly, become the accepted standard.

16. Jasonp

Jasonp Member

Nail on the head Owen S, except that with your 3 reveille's and the cavalry reveille that makes 4 :)
    I belive the long reveille is only use on specific occasions, I'll find out about it and let you know soon.
    I've also had confirmation from a former Royal Marine that they use the same last post but a different Reville.
    The Marines play last post at the Cenotaph parade and the RAF play rouse.
    So you'll be safe to play the same at your service.

17. Owen S

Owen S Member

OK, thanks.

I got the impression from a web search yesterday that Cavalry and Long Reveille were the same thing, but I could easily be wrong.

As for the service on Sunday, I expect Stewart Gaudion's doing it, so I'll leave you to guess which Reveille we're using. ;)

18. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I've wondered about this for years cos this is the one I play after the silence. Been good reading this thread guys, very useful, cheers.

(Should I not use this one then?)

19. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

Apparently the service this morning on television (not sure where it was - only heard from a friend) played the reveille i tried to initially describe - anyone know what that one's called?

20. SteveT

SteveT Member

As an ex-cavalryman myself I can confirm Jas in that there are only really two used by the army.

However I have always used the infantry one for RAF and Navy jobs too. The reason the cavalry one is used so much these days is because Cavalry Regiments are senior to infantry ones, and they like using the state trumpeters. (Formed from the Life Guards and Blues & Royals musicians.)

I would just use the normal infantry one.......... otherwise you might get some odd looks.

Steve

21. Jasonp

Jasonp Member

I had a look at the official book for bugel calls and cavalry calls of the british army today.
    The Long reveille is not the same as cavalry reveille but it doesn't state when or where it should be played.
    The Navy/Marines play the same last post as the army but play a different reveille and the RAF play the same as the army.
    I hope that's that lot cleared up now :)

22. CLAIRE SPONG

CLAIRE SPONG Member

I have a query if anyone can answer it....

I am due to play the Last Post and Reveille at a VE anniversary service but have been told that the reveille I usually use is not the one usually used up here. The one I have is on a sheet 'In Memoriam' and says it is from a book of army bugle calls and fanfares. It is quite a long one but the one used here is only about 8 bars long and is more fanfare-ish.

Can anyone tell me why there are several different versions and which is the correct one I should be playing?