Returning to the fold...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Mesmerist, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Before I hear "told you so", yes I'm sort of considering picking up the old neglected flugel and attempting to play the thing. I nearly said once more but I don't want to give any illusion of being a mistress of the thing previously. So where do I start after a five year break? I need a mouthpiece and cannot even remember what I used to use (a 2 or a 3 I think). I no longer have music so will have to replace the Arban (be still my beating heart). I know what you're going to say...long notes... but anything else to speed up the process?

2. Cornet23

Cornet23 Member

I know it's not what you want to hear, but don't speed up the process. I learned the hard way and basically ended up playing horrendously and using pressure to change notes, therefore busting my lip regularly. I have no patience, but you just have to try with this! Flugel is a beautiful instrument, enjoy getting to know it again :)

3. Mesmerist

Thank you Cornet23. Any vague estimate on how long it takes to build up muscle and stamina again before I haul myself down to the nearest unlucky band?

4. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

Mesmerist, like you, I returned to banding after a long lay off - though one far longer than your five years. It's long and slow. However, I decided to take some online lessons, and I think I'm going to be a better player than I was before the lay off. Like you, I couldn't bear the thoughts of slogging along on my own on long notes. A teacher makes things so much more interesting

Mesmerist and 2nd tenor like this.
  5. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

To establish basic skills this worked for me:
    # Tune a day books one and two.
    # Hymn tunes, solo cornet red book, Wright and Round.
    # The winners galore basic and follow on books of unaccompanied tunes.
    # Scales, Major, C plus first four in flats and in sharps. One octave to start progressing to two octaves.

I believe that Arban can be found on line for free.

Big Shiny Brass do a Trumpet/Cornet Tutor that's just Tunes; worth a look.

Enjoy and welcome back.

Mesmerist and Jeff W like this.
  6. Mesmerist

Taken advice from one of the best and now a shiny new alliance 2Wfl is on the way to me. Not used anything so upmarket before so here's hoping there are lots of ready made right notes in it. Got to be committed now. Long notes and flexibility whilst multitasking watching the Great British Bake Off perhaps?

mikelyons and iancwilx like this.
  7. Mesmerist

Waiting for the postman...if he's much longer bringing my mouthpiece I'll train the dog to bite him...

8. Mesmerist

Sigh...rang the music shop to find out where my mouthpiece is and was told they have to order it in for me so another 7 to 10 days before they get it and then it still has to make it from Manchester to me. Would have been nice to be told rather than me have to chase them.