Returning to brass after 50 years !!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Melody Maker, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Melody Maker

Melody Maker New Member

Hello all.
    66 years young and starting out on learning to play a tenor horn again!I am retired and live on the Lincolnshire coast.Have played guitar for many years due to the influx of bands in the 60's.
    Sure i will be asking questions in the future on this forum please bear with me!!

2. Slider1

Slider1 Active Member

You go for it!

Melody Maker likes this.
  3. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

^ What Slider said^. I could tease and ask why the Tenor Horn but I won't. :)

I hope you enjoy yourself mightily.

Melody Maker likes this.
  4. Melody Maker

Melody Maker New Member

Simply because that's what I played when at school all those years ago!Any suggestions on different instruments would be greatly appreciated.

5. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

No point messing around with different instruments - if that's more familiar to begin with then it's probably the best place to start.

Welcome to the boards, best of luck with the comeback and don't ever be afraid to ask for help or advice, most here are friendly enough!

Euphonium Lite and Melody Maker like this.
  6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I you find you're coping aright with horn all well and good. All I would say is that some returning players find it easier to move to an instrument with a larger mouthpiece.

Melody Maker likes this.
  7. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

Sixty six now and returning after fifty years, guess you gave up when you were sixteen then. Some folk play any instrument that's needed in the band and do it without a second thought or any difficulty, but I think that they are an exception to the norm as the rest of us struggle and seek to get back onto what we're most comfortable with. If you tried a few different instruments as a youth and ended up on Tenor Horn then I'd be inclined to think that you'd found the instrument that suited you best and that it still will. I settled on low brass instruments as a youth and after a few decades away returned to them again, like long lost old friends, without too much trouble - I'm still a rubbish player but am enjoying banding regardless of that detail.

Melody Maker likes this.
  8. Melody Maker

Melody Maker New Member

I think you've hit it on the head.I'm sure I will be rubbish but the thought of making music with other like minded people excites me!Thank you all for your replys

2nd tenor likes this.
  9. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

I started from scratch on baritone when I was 68 . . .
    ;)

I could kick meself now, that I didn't give it a try in 1981, when I got to know some people who played with Sussex Brass. My progress has been a bit erratic (heart surgery and batteries of pills do knock you back a bit), but I'm improving. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?
    :)

Hang in there, MM! And best regards,
    Jack

10. Independent Silver Band

Independent Silver Band Active Member

I have known several to resume after many years with great success.

Melody Maker likes this.
  11. Repman

Repman New Member

Keep at it, I restarted cornet aged 46 after giving up at 18, 6 months on, joined a local village band and loving it. Always nice to see people coming back.

12. second_horn

second_horn Member

I returned 4 years ago when I was 45. I played tenor horn in a band from the age of 10, but left when I was 12 as the band wasn't particularly friendly to a shy youngster! I joined another band in my 30's but had to play euphonium as there were no vacancies in the horn section.I was never very comfortable on euph and only stayed a year or so.
    Then,years later, having moved from Wiltshire to Shropshire, I happened to look upon my local brass band website and saw a vacancy for 2nd horn, the position I played age 10! I rang up, was welcomed enthusiastically and haven't looked back! It's surprising how it all comes back, and every now and then we get a piece out of the library that I played age 10 and it's wonderful.My then 10 year old daughter decided she wanted to learn cornet, and now age 14, plays in the band with me. And I have to say that if the band I played in then had been as nice to me as my current band is to her I would probably have stuck at it a lot longer! (We both play for 2 bands now and I am no longer 2nd horn !)

13. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

I've been on horn now for nearly 5 weeks and to my huge surprise I LOVE it! Hope I don't have to move when the poorly players all come back...

Euphonium Lite likes this.
  14. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

Possession is nine points of the law, Mesmerist . . . and if that picture in your avatar is anything to go buy, it suits you well!
    :cool:

Mesmerist likes this.