Returning after a long time out!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ron Lander, May 16, 2018.

1. BigJamie

BigJamie New Member

What Tom-King said. Try before you buy. Soprano cornets are an intensely personal choice. For example I tried a beryllium bell Shilke for about two years. Couldn't get to grips with it. Moved to a brass bell Shilke and everything became easy. Tried a Stomvi with a maxi clapper - hated it. Took the maxi clapper off and was smacking out top F on a sop like it was a top C on a Bb cornet. Many top class players swear by the beryllium bell Shilke and the Stomvi maxi clappers.

I might put the house on the market so I can buy another Shilke....

Tom-King likes this.
  2. Ron Lander

Ron Lander New Member

3. Ron Lander

Ron Lander New Member

Took the advice offered and thank you all very much. Was not really getting anywhere until a standard (non HE) Stomvi Titan with a copper bell became available for me to try out today. Loved it. However, could not find one for sale so purchased the HE version. It will be supplied with the standard bits as well as the HE bits so if it does not sound right I can alter it. Should be in my hot sweaty hands on Monday.

Thanks to Rosehill instruments for the pleasant and very patient way they dealt the the gibbering idiot that came out of me today.

I don’t expect to ever get the sound from it that it deserves. But at least I will know the problem will be behind the mouthpiece.

BigJamie and Tom-King like this.
  4. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

Ron - the best pistol shooter I ever met told me "I've never handled a gun which can't shoot better than I can."
    :)

Tom-King likes this.
  5. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Congratulations :) really pleased to hear you've found something you like :)

Hope it gives you great pleasure and helps you further along the journey - on the best seat in the band :)

BigJamie likes this.
  6. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Bingo!

But like the gun, imperfections are a handicap - everything's easier with the right choice of equipment

Jack E likes this.
  7. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

Oh, very much so. Peter could put up a very impressive score even with the shooting club's Drulov single shot .22 pistol - a product of 1960s Russian technology at its Moskvich worst! But he could do far better with his own pistol, which I think cost him over £4,000 in the late 1980s (I dread to think what it would cost, now!).
    The other point is, as others have mentioned, is that even a top grade instrument by a given maker will not suit every player - and that is no reflection on its quality. I only have to look at the facial structures of our cornet players to see the astonishing variety of skeletal and muscular variations between them - compounded by different preferences of players with regards to how the instrument feels when they blow.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice