Returning after a long time out!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ron Lander, May 16, 2018.

1. Ron Lander

Ron Lander New Member

After about 35 years of not playing regularly I am now practising every day. I still have my Sovereign Bb cornet and used that for a few weeks to a, make sure I wanted to play again and b, make sure I can reach a reasonable standard again.

So, have now returned to where is all startedand bought a new Yamaha soprano cornet. It was the first musical instrument I learned to play when I was at school and I’m really enjoying it.

Wish me luck!

KenIrvin likes this.
  2. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Best of luck, especially on sop :)

Are you playing with a band or planning to get up to speed a bit more first?

Ron Lander likes this.
  3. Ron Lander

Ron Lander New Member

Hi Tom.
    One reason I stopped playing after leaving the military band (9/12 Royal Lancers) was that I have no interest in doing mayors tea parties or concerts in the park. Quite happy going at my own pace, practising every day and getting my embrochure right. The internet is a great resource for help in this regard. Later on depending on my progress I may consider approaching the local band to see what they need.

4. Queeg2000

Queeg2000 Active Member

I started playing again at Christmas time after a 30 year break. It's amazing how quickly you get back to where you were. I was exhausted after my first Christmas carol session of two hours and my lip felt as though it had been run over by a bulldozer, but a few days later, I was back for a three hour session. After a few of those, my lip was as strong as ever.

KenIrvin and Ron Lander like this.
  5. Ron Lander

Ron Lander New Member

At the mo, the lips are getting better daily, hit g just above the stave for the first time today. Might get top c by christmas!

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  6. Repman

Repman New Member

Welcome to the old returners club! hope it works out for you.

Jack E and KenIrvin like this.
  7. BigJamie

BigJamie New Member

Good for you. I played sop for 28 years out of a 32 year playing career. I made my comeback on Bb coz it's easier then Eb. I find joining a band gives me the context I need to work, practice and improve but each to their own. Practice your lip trills and lip slurs and the top Cs will be back before you know it!

8. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

Lip trills, Jamie? :eek: Strewth! I have my work cut out to manage lip slurs, let alone trills . . . :oops:

Jack

BigJamie likes this.
  9. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

This thread reminds me of Al Hirt, the famed US jazz trumpet player who said something like........triple tonguing is hard because I've only got one tongue!

All this talk of returning oldies....I'm 72 so I qualify.....has me thinking!!

10. BigJamie

BigJamie New Member

Max Schlossberg - Daily Drills and Technical Exercises. It's like weight training for your embouchure. Really hard at first but well worth it in the long run.

11. Tom-King

Personally I'd leave that as something to build up to - flexibilities absolutely yes, but lip trills (as great as they are when done right) are typically the domain of more advanced and more in-practice players, with occasional exceptions.

I'd say build up steadily and constructively - don't over exert unless with a very specific goal in mind (and even then, under controlled conditions).

Always build up strength, don't try and force it and break down.
    Practicing is all about habit building so that making music happens within those habits and therefore within control - overreaching in practice builds two sets of habits: controlled and out-of-control.

4th Cornet and BigJamie like this.
  12. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

@Jamie: I know I'm an old codger, but - allowing for time out for fun stuff like open-heart surgery - I've only effectively had a couple of years on brass; in view of that, I'll focus on lip slurs for a while, yet! :D

BigJamie likes this.
  13. Ron Lander

Ron Lander New Member

Update time.

I started off with and am still using the book The Embouvhure Builder, by Lowell Little. This gets you started very nicely as it gradually increases in range with the advice not to proceed beyond certain pages until you can play without strain. Also using a couple of Claude Gordon books to help with breathing.

Doing quite well and still practising at least once per day. The intonation is not good, partly down to me but not sure about the Yamaha sop, its the cheaper of the two and is made in China, which was a bit of a surprise! Is the Neo a much better instrument? I notice 1st and 3rd valve slide levers have gone out of fashion and rings are now used. Is there a good reason for this? I still have my B&H Soveriegn Bb which has levers.

Have settled on the Vicent Bach 7E mouthpiece which suites me quite well as I used to use the 7C on a Bb Cornet and Trumpet. However out of curiosity a BVT will be arriving shortly and looking forwards to having a go with it.

Listening a lot to brass band music again. Still liking all my old favorites such as life divine, journey into freedom and finlandia. Have discovered the sop solo, flowerdale and have secured the sop part. What a piece. Probably never be able to play all of it but no harm in having a go and see how far I can get!

Jack E and BigJamie like this.
  14. BigJamie

BigJamie New Member

Dunno about the new yammies. I'm still using an early nineties Yamaha 6610s. I started working on the Eb again in April after I got a phone call from a conductor asking me to come out of retirement and fill in the sop part for Cloudcatcher Fells at the New Zealand National Champs. That was a hard 4 months getting my lip back. Didn't play very well but am getting better. I didn't use any particular book. Just lots of long notes to build up tone and strength then slow chromatics to get gradually higher and higher. I found the top notes came back gradually and quietly. I tried a new Stomvi Eb at the contest on the trade stands. It had these big bits of metal (called clappers) attached to the bottom of the valves. The instrument was nothing to write home about until I unscrewed the clappers and tried it again. Smacked out a top F and surprised myself and the others at the trade stand. Worth trying one for yourself. Especially if you have some coin for a new instrument!

15. Ron Lander

Ron Lander New Member

Yes the Stomvo. I keep looking at then on the internet. Very tempting but would be wasted on me at this stage. Maybe later. I used to own and play an Olds Rafael Mendez trumpet so definately appreciate quality!

16. Tom-King

The triggers Vs slides thing is mostly personal preference...

Triggers have never particularly caught on as stock on sops, two possible reasons come to mind - first, a lot of top sop players are also trumpet players who prefer rings and secondly the Schilke (head and shoulders above the rest for years, arguably not anymore) didn't come with them stock (I've seen some with, but not sure if they're factory custom or aftermarket).

As to whether the Neo will be noticeably better - yes, miles.
    The Xeno/Neo model wiped the floor with the previous pro model (6610) which in turn wiped the floor with the student model.

Personally I'd consider the Neo to be the equal of the Schilke (albeit different) - the Stomvi and Eclipse noticeably better (I'm not without bias though).

As to it being "wasted" on you - don't be so sure... If it's not quite right (intonation especially), it's a handicap to progress.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  17. Ron Lander

Ron Lander New Member

Thanks for Taking time to reply Tom. It is much appreciated. It is indeed the student version I am using.

I have had a tentative discussion with the wife and a Stomvi is not out of the equation. Some time is required to mull it over.

18. Tom-King

If possible, try as many different ones as you can - there's a big slice of personal preference involved now there are so many good choices available.

It's definitely worth trying the Stomvi along with the Eclipse, Schilke and Yamaha Neo at the very least (to say nothing of the different bell options on most of these) - you may just find one particular make/model just feels better to play for you, or even simply more comfortable to hold.

I know for certain you get first trigger standard on Eclipse (third trigger optional) and I'm pretty sure you can order a Stomvi with first trigger (not sure about third)... Schilke and Yamaha I'm not as sure.
    Personally I'm not massively fussed on having them, but it's nice to have the option if you particularly want them.

19. Ron Lander

Ron Lander New Member

Hello again Tom. The Eclipse is one I had not heard of. Not much info seems to be online. Looks interesting. Can you point me to a supplier?

20. Tom-King

Hi Ron,

Eclipse's sop is a bit newer on the market than some of the others.

Where you are based?

I don't have the first clue which Eclipse dealers have what (my involvement is only in the development phase, I don't work for Eclipse Trumpets) - you'd have to ask Leigh that (or visit the workshop in Luton)...
    Or if you're nearer me, I'm happy to meet you and let you play my one.

As I say though, in all honesty my advice would be to play as many as you can and go with what suits you best - we're all different and it's great that there are now several great options to suit different preferences :)

BigJamie likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice