Returning after a long time out!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ron Lander, May 16, 2018 at 11:07 AM.

1. Ron Lander

Ron Lander New Member

After about 35 years of not playing regularly I am now practising every day. I still have my Sovereign Bb cornet and used that for a few weeks to a, make sure I wanted to play again and b, make sure I can reach a reasonable standard again.

So, have now returned to where is all startedand bought a new Yamaha soprano cornet. It was the first musical instrument I learned to play when I was at school and I’m really enjoying it.

Wish me luck!

KenIrvin likes this.
  2. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Best of luck, especially on sop :)

Are you playing with a band or planning to get up to speed a bit more first?

Ron Lander likes this.
  3. Ron Lander

Ron Lander New Member

Hi Tom.
    One reason I stopped playing after leaving the military band (9/12 Royal Lancers) was that I have no interest in doing mayors tea parties or concerts in the park. Quite happy going at my own pace, practising every day and getting my embrochure right. The internet is a great resource for help in this regard. Later on depending on my progress I may consider approaching the local band to see what they need.

4. Queeg2000

Queeg2000 Active Member

I started playing again at Christmas time after a 30 year break. It's amazing how quickly you get back to where you were. I was exhausted after my first Christmas carol session of two hours and my lip felt as though it had been run over by a bulldozer, but a few days later, I was back for a three hour session. After a few of those, my lip was as strong as ever.

KenIrvin and Ron Lander like this.
  5. Ron Lander

Ron Lander New Member

At the mo, the lips are getting better daily, hit g just above the stave for the first time today. Might get top c by christmas!

Last edited: May 17, 2018 at 12:17 PM
  6. Repman

Repman New Member

Welcome to the old returners club! hope it works out for you.

KenIrvin likes this.
  7. BigJamie

BigJamie New Member

Good for you. I played sop for 28 years out of a 32 year playing career. I made my comeback on Bb coz it's easier then Eb. I find joining a band gives me the context I need to work, practice and improve but each to their own. Practice your lip trills and lip slurs and the top Cs will be back before you know it!

8. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

Lip trills, Jamie? :eek: Strewth! I have my work cut out to manage lip slurs, let alone trills . . . :oops:

Jack

BigJamie likes this.
  9. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

This thread reminds me of Al Hirt, the famed US jazz trumpet player who said something like........triple tonguing is hard because I've only got one tongue!

All this talk of returning oldies....I'm 72 so I qualify.....has me thinking!!

10. BigJamie

BigJamie New Member

Max Schlossberg - Daily Drills and Technical Exercises. It's like weight training for your embouchure. Really hard at first but well worth it in the long run.

11. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Personally I'd leave that as something to build up to - flexibilities absolutely yes, but lip trills (as great as they are when done right) are typically the domain of more advanced and more in-practice players, with occasional exceptions.

I'd say build up steadily and constructively - don't over exert unless with a very specific goal in mind (and even then, under controlled conditions).

Always build up strength, don't try and force it and break down.
    Practicing is all about habit building so that making music happens within those habits and therefore within control - overreaching in practice builds two sets of habits: controlled and out-of-control.

4th Cornet and BigJamie like this.
  12. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

@Jamie: I know I'm an old codger, but - allowing for time out for fun stuff like open-heart surgery - I've only effectively had a couple of years on brass; in view of that, I'll focus on lip slurs for a while, yet! :D

BigJamie likes this.