Resurgam - What Section?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Robin Norman, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Robin Norman

Robin Norman Member

Just canvassing opinion here. What section would you now say Resurgam is? I've heard some people say that it's now only a second or third section piece as it's far too easy.

I disagree, still lots of traps for people to fall into and to really have control would challenge some of the best. I'd say it's at least First Section still.

Debate!!!

2. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I agree with you Robin. It's all very well a 3rd section band scraping through the notes, but a different thing altogether to play the piece properly.

Resurgam is considered one of the movement's greatest works, but the piece finds itself in an unhappy limbo. The top section bands won't touch it because it is too 'easy' and then so many lower section bands 'have a go' and make a hash of it. It is a piece that has no obvious technical difficulty, but there is so much more in the score. The conductor needs to not only interpret the music, but needs to give the score colour, shape, warmth - and sometimes, sorrow.

In answer to your question, Robin; I still think there is a lot there for top section bands to trip up on and certainly a piece for the 1st section to work on - hard!

3. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

I agree with Duncan. It's a stern test for a good 1st section band. Its one of those pieces that must be played well. Every player counts in this one. Wasn't it the top section set piece at Pontins a few years ago. 2004 maybe?

4. Kjata

Kjata Member

Mr Norman, welcome back back to tMP!! ;)
    1st section every time!

5. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

1st for me too...I just wish the shock note bit didn't exist ;)

6. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

'Nuff said. :clap:

7. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

:tup

8. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Hi Robin - Phil here on Kim's computer !

If you look on the L&SC website there is a list of Testpieces graded by section ( Dennis Wilby did it some years back ) and Resurgam is listed as a 1st section piece.

Needless to say its one of my favourite works ( I have several recordings...:) ) and it takes a good band to do it justice.

9. Kjata

Kjata Member

Did you really need to say 'i have several recordings'?? We just take it obvious now!! ;)

10. 08cbinns

08cbinns Member

Deffo 1st section, not easy to play it perfect

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    First Section
    Resurgam
    section piece
    people
    canvassing opinion
  12. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Phoenix Brass (Midlands) won the Open (1st/Champ) section at the West Midlands BBA contest at Leamington with this last year. They are now a Championship band.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  13. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

We are a 1st section band and are considering contesting with it.

14. It was used at Pontins as the 1st section test piece a few years back im sure

15. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Would be a good piece for the 2nd section finals.

16. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

The problem with Resurgam is that whilst its a fantastic piece ( and agree its probably 1st section ) every adjudicator have played /conducted it and has an opinion on how it should be played and wo betide the band that might not play it how they like it.. there are a good number of pieces that fall into this category.

17. Scongie

Scongie Member

Good point. Happend to Treherbert a few years ago in Bugle, put on a really good show but the adjudicator thought we took the slow bit after the Euph cadenza too slow and put us last.

18. nhrg

nhrg Member

It shouldn't be contested

Great piece but really only suitable for the concert stage these days. Like a lot of the old pieces there's nothing in it for percussionists so it doesn't fit the remit of a test piece which must surely challenge the whole band. And no, I'm not a skin beater I'm a cornet player.

19. DaveEb

DaveEb Member

Was in 1st section that year.

20. flug_gal

flug_gal Member

That's just what I was thinking :)

Mind you anything would be better than the tosh we've got this year (with the exception of the 'pretty' second movement) :rolleyes:

21. crk365

crk365 New Member

How many '3rd section bands' would have a bass section which could competently do the hemi-semis just before the shock note section ?

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    First Section
    Resurgam
    section piece
    people
    canvassing opinion