Results: Yorkshire 3rd Section

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by dyl, Mar 7, 2004.

1. dyl

dyl Active Member

3rd Section
    • 1. Stanley Newmarket Colliery, Keith Wardle, 8, 181
      2. Slaithwaite, Barry Hudson, 5, 180
      3. Dinnington Colliery, Toby Bannan, 4, 178
      4. Maltby Miners Welfare, Terry Clifford, 3, 175
      5. Gawthorpe Brass '85', John Edward, 9, 173
      6. Huddersfield Brass, Alan Holdsworth, 6, 171
      7. Emley Brass, Garry Hallas, 1, 170
      8. Barnsley Metropolitan, John Grinnell, 2, 167
      9. Clifton & Lightcliffe, Rob Collinson, 7, 166

Best soloist:
      Principal cornet: Huddersfield Brass
    Courtesy of 4BarsRest

2. timbloke

timbloke Member

Let me be the first to congratulate SNCB, having had the pleasure of representing the band last year at Dundee i can say their win is thoroughly deserved, and having listened to a number of bands today, I think they were definitely a level higher than the others I heard.

Well done.

3. Hollso

Hollso Member

I'm from Clifton, and i am rather... (i'll hold my toungue) shocked, and very dissapointed. I was convinced we'd played better than that, though i only managed to listen properly to band number 9, and band number 5, which stood out a mile with this corker of a whoopsie...
    I was wondering what anyone else thought to this, before we get read the remarks on tuesday.

4. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Message to all Slaithwaite players

GO YOU GOOD THINGS!!!!!!

Damn, I should go find some pokies now!! I feel lucky!!!

5. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I thought the top two, Slaithwaite and SNC, were clearly the top two.

I thought we deserved better than 7th. 6?5?4th at best. We lost out on bottom end tunning! no matter, we may well be visiting the 4th section for a couple of years, but we'll be back stronger. It's only a brass band contest after all!!!

6. Lucky Beaver

Lucky Beaver Member

Cheers Tim! You can be our official groupie if you want :D

The band very much appreciated your support.....sorry I didn't find you to buy you a beer but I was driving and high on elation so keeping my distance from the bar!!

7. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Lucky Beaver - you must be really looking forward to a fun-packed weekend in Harrogate...

Well done all at SNC.

D

8. Lucky Beaver

Lucky Beaver Member

Cheers Straightmute,

Can't wait!! I'll be within staggering distance of home :D

Only trouble is, if I don't come up with some hotel recommendations soon, I'm going to have the whole band kipping at my place...arrrgh!

9. Hollso

Hollso Member

I thought that about us... but heck, who wants to go to Harrogate anyway? :p

10. timbloke

timbloke Member

I heard a number of the bands, I thought you and huddersfield (especially having top cornet solo prize) were unlucky and dare I say it maltby were a bit lucky... but i guess thats the way contests go.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Yorkshire 3rd Section
    Rob Collinson
    Stanley Newmarket Colliery
    Keith Wardle
    Gawthorpe Brass
  12. timbloke

timbloke Member

Along with official groupie of Silk Brass, and no doubt some other band somewhere...

I went off to the bar with yorkshire_pud for a few and to see maltby people then went home for a rehearsal in the evening.

13. Hollso

Hollso Member

Quite a number of people figured we were very unlucky... i myself can't believe it. Our listeners didnt think huddersfield would get best solo, not over us. I think its a bit strange to be honest...

I was wondering... how long were the remarks of the bands that played after us? Craddock missed quite size-able chucks of music comment from our remarks, including the fact that we had our sop player, who was sharp, playing a solo cornet section, whome was originally in tune. And it's almost as if he didnt listen past U...
    I know it seems like sour grapes, but it's troubling me.

14. Toby

Toby Member

Is an adjudicator employed to write extensive remarks or to listen to each band and place them in order of merit?

15. horn1

horn1 Member

Good question! It can be very annoying though to have nothing said about huge bits of your performance when you have worked so hard on it.

Well done by the way!!

16. timbloke

timbloke Member

It was the same in the 1st section, very little was said about large sections of the peice.. Agreed adjudicators are not there to write lots, but it really helps a band to understand why they came where they came, especially if it's a bad result. Just leaving out large chunks begs the question was he really listening? did we play it so well he couldn't find fault? Its a tough line to draw, if the adjudicator is too critical it can demoralise the band (we had it a bit in dundee last year), but then again if he says nothing you don't feel you can learn from your mistakes and don't know where to build upon it to get a better result next time around.

that's what i think anyway.

17. Hollso

Hollso Member

I agree with you really Tim. I just feel that we've been cheated out of knoweledge of the problems we had, s'all.