Results - or robbed?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Mesmerist, May 19, 2008.

1. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

So what do you prefer then? - being robbed at a contest or being placed after a shockingly poor performance by your own band`s standards?
    Being of the fairly shallow variety I think I will take the result as no one who wasn`t there remembers how badly you played but the results are forever.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    wasn
    band
    s standards
    fairly shallow variety
    poor performance
  3. bignige

bignige Member

Take the result!!

4. horn1

horn1 Member

For me I'd rather know we played well whatever the result!

5. COOL CORNET CAVE

COOL CORNET CAVE New Member

take the result:clap:

6. QAD

QAD Member

For me it really is the performance

7. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

As long as you feel that you have performed twell on the day. it doesnt matter, generally. But I will always take the result. though. That stays with you forever!!

8. Beesa

Beesa Member

At the Regionals we played rubbish, and we knew it. We heard quite a few of the other bands too. Well, we weren't going to be demoted but we would be in the bottom 3 or 4 for sure. So we were well prepared for the results.

Except we weren't.

We got in the prizes. Suddenly everyone was all smiles and "didn't we play well".

Actually, no. We played rubbish.

Having such short memories we returned back to the band room for the summer season and back to our old ways. Instruments left in the band room after practice. Chatting whilst the conductor is talking etc. etc.

Perhaps we should have got the result we probably deserved.

The way it is going, there is always next year for that . . . .

9. 3rdcornetsolo

3rdcornetsolo Member

I would love it, love it if just once I was part of that band who everyone said played rubbish... but got a result!

Cos im really sick of random people telling me how much better than everyone else we were... then coming 8th!

10. QAD

QAD Member

Yep the result certainly does stay forever, I still have nightmares about Bryan Hurdley's infamous adjudication of the fourth section west of england regionals in 2004 which left us a 14th place on a day that I was quite happy with the performance.

That result certainly stayed with us and it has taken another three years to get out of the fourth section when we have been improving all the time.
    On the other hand I was not so happy this year as we had a not-so-good day on stage and was relieved to come in 4th and still get promotion.

So I still prefer to go by the performance but sometimes those results really are more significant to the band and their performance.

I would love for the whole sections to be recorded and made available on CD(s) to really find out if we got what we deserved. Conductors and bandsmen never get to hear all the bands in a given section and more often than not it seems to be those bands either side who do well and I really wished I could have heard them.

The Weston contest is a good example, we won from a No 3 draw but I would have loved to have heard No 1 Totnes who came in 2nd and Bratton who came in 3rd and played straight after us.

11. Good performances and bad results seem to be the norm for me & my band! i have learned to accept it :D

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    wasn
    band
    s standards
    fairly shallow variety
    poor performance
  13. Owen S

Owen S Member

At the areas, or at one of the few lower section contests with significant financial prizes, I'd take the result over the performance, anywhere else I'd take the performance over the result.

That said, when your ears on stage tell you something different to the adjudicator, listening to a recording can be very instructive, assuming there is one. Often it turns out the adjudicator was right, or at least you can understand why he might disagree.

14. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Some bands could play the best of their careers and not above 15th out of 16 bands. Some could stink by their standards and and finish 3rd out of the same 16.

No matter how well you play, someone has to finish last.

I have directed bands that would finish last. I would much rather give a good performance and let the standings fall as they may. It you play your best, you know you are on the right track to get better.

Nothing less than your best.

15. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I was on the other end of something similar to this over this last weekend in Weston Super Mare. The tMP team had rated a certain bands performance - as we did all day based on what we heard, and on our interpretation of the performance - and the score came out that this band were at the lower end of the group. Must point out here that we make it abundantly clear that we don't, and never have tried to do a prediction of where the adjudicator will place a band in the contest, but rather we provide an alternate interpretation and analysis of the performance - and this has always been encouraged and we are thanked by many players and MD's for so doing. I also comment that it is not what tMP states on a bands performance that matters, it is what the adjudicator says that matters.

However, when approached on the weekend by said band, I commented on where our marks had placed them, and they were not happy at all! On the day, the band I think won which was great for them, but sadly they seemed to take great pleasure in coming up to me pointing out where I had placed them, generally being sarcastic and trying to make me feel and look rather stupid, and suggesting that I didn't know what I was talking about. The thing is... my interpretation remains the same, that their performance was not good - and I haven't changed my opinion - because it is just that... an opinion. :)

I don't mind raising my head above the parapet and providing the service and offering a live review of every bands performance at WSM, but people do need to remember here that it is simply one persons opinion... that's all.

16. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

If you are too fragile to take the knocks then don't enter a contest. Its a simple as that.

It really annoys me when people cannot accept the adjudicators decision, or any criticism levelled at them!

My only concern at any contest is my bands performance. In 27 years of contesting I have only listened to a few performances by other bands. That way I only judge my bands performance as it stands not compared to the others in the section.

Yes I want to win, more than most, however you have to take the performance first, result second.

17. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

It really annoys me when a band comes off the stage saying 'oh yeah, we played really well, we totally deserve to win'.

Then they come 8th and have a real strop.

Fine-but did you actually listen to any bands yourself? You can't possibly say, 'we was robbed' unless you heard every other band in your section play.

Ok, other people will say, 'yeah, we heard all the bands and you were the clear winners, blah blah blah', but other people will be going up to other bands and saying exactly the same thing.

Bad results happen to good people. :sup

Deal with it, and move on!

18. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I always look for the performance first and foremost, but heck if you play badly and get a result from it then all the better, as long as you don't try to pretend you deserved it!

It hasn't happened very often to me, but there is one time that sticks in my mind - at the Area several years ago on Maoriana. Basically neither the band or our conductor at the time could get anywhere near it. In fact our conductor admitted that they had no idea how to beat the couple of 5/16(?) bars so we sort of got a circle and met on the first beat of the next bar. Frankly, if we got through it and came dead last it would've been a result. Anyway we played and somehow muddled through, and all trooped off home because we knew we were coming nowhere. Later over a reflective pint to discuss our impending relegation the pub's phone rang and it was our secretary to tell us we'd somehow and unbelievably come 4th!! We'd also just missed qualification by a point. To say we were surprised is an understatement - we were rubbish. Apparently when the result was announced there was the legendary few seconds of stunned silence followed by a roomful of whispered "how the **** did they get placed there".:) I still look back at that performance with a mix of embarrassment and amusement, and I know several other bands on the day were hugely annoyed by our placing!

19. Beesa

Beesa Member

I have found "We was robbed" to be the classic phrase of the drunk bandsman at the bar. The one who was supping a pint within minutes of the band playing rather than taking time to listen to a few others in the section for comparison. There's always plenty of time to drink later on. That way you tend not to become an ugly drunk, after a face full of p1ssed-up whinging and boring everyone.

20. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Sums it up.

"we played like totally amazing, so much better than normal, if we don't win then its a bad adjudication" etc etc etc...
    Some people just dont seem to realise that when they say they played great they are comparing how they played with ... *shock horror*.. how they normally play!!! You can pull off an amazing performance as a band but still be totally **** compared to everyone else.

p.s. I'd take the result :p

21. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Exactly!

In one contest you can play out of your skins and come nowhere because everyone else played really well too, and their best is better than yours. On another day against different bands you can come off stage thinking you just blew it, and still walk away with a prize.

On a personal level its more satisfying knowing we've done well and put in a good performance, even if the results don't go our way, but I honestly think anyone who says they wouldn't take the trophy is telling porkies!

I'd take either of those options over secret option no. 3: play badly AND get a poor result! :D

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  22. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Ok, Analogy time!
    A Manchester United fan and a Chelski fan in a bar. Chelski fan says United cheated, that they paid the Ref off for the match against Wigan (Which is actually what Avram Grant said). How would you take that? Sore Losers. Unsporting behaviour.

Same thing in banding, no?

What I don't like is people who look for scaoegoats to blame for them not doing well. Usually the adjudicator.

The adjudicator this,
    The adjudicator that,
    The adjudicator has no idea about Brass Bands (No, in most cases they've been doing Brass Bands for decades so clearly they have no idea)

And what I hate most is conspiracy theories.

Such and such a band paid such and such an adjudicator so that they win.
    That band always do something different so that the adjudicator knows it's them.
    You always hear a phone go off in the adjudicator's box when that band goes on.

For me, Take it as it comes. You win some, you lose some.

Sure, I love it when I win, just like the next person. But saying "We was robbed" sounds more like sore losing than anything else and claiming that someone cheating is the reason you didn't win is even worse.