[Results] NEMBBA Association Contest

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by TheMusicMan, Feb 19, 2006.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Well done all at Dronfield excellent result for you - I only heard 5 bands in your section (1st 4 +Bestwood) and thought Thurcroft had the edge on your performance - however only one result that counts.

What did people think about the seating arrangement of Bestwood (cornets on right in front of troms with basses, euphs then horns on left giving a bells out format)? I understand that this may have been in preparation for the venue of their areas (Bellverdier(sp?) Club) where there are extensive amounts of curtains which presumably absorb a great deal of sound.

I wonder what the adjudicator thought in the box when sounds that would normally come from the left entered his right ear and vice versa? Or do those curtains around the box muffle this up. Richard did you get any comments from the adjudicator on this?

2. rutty

rutty Active Member

Heh, well done Jacko! Always good to see you do well :)

3. postie

postie Member

Having looked at the comments we didn't have any comment on that!!

4. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Rutty you could not miss me at all I had a LIVERPOOL T SHIRT ON so simple to spot sitting on the right hand side of the room 4th row back just in the middle.
    Postie came over for a chat with me .
    So i was spoted:biggrin:

5. Di

Di Active Member

Try the tMP Gallery Mr R. ;)

6. postie

postie Member

Absolutely you can't miss Mr Perks with his Liverpool shirt on!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. westburykid

westburykid Member

Yep, neither do I!!!!!

8. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Well I think this was a very brave experiment. I personally have not seen Bestwood put in such a nervous a performance for quite a while. I suspect that players facing the other way than what they are used to and having different instruments in front or at the back of them certainly affected their performance and confidence.
    The balance and tuning was certainly below par considering their recent form.

I always like to see Bestwood do well as they are our neighbouring band and seem a nice bunch of people. They have certainly made stunning progress recently. Their MD Brian Draper is certainly no mug and has worked wonders with this band, so if he feels this arrangement is necessary for the Beldeveire accoustics then I am inclined to trust his better judgement. There are still a few weeks to go and if Bestwood play up to their true form and beleive in themseves I still think they could put in a great challenge at the Area.

9. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Does anyone know the full results yet for the 4th section? :-?

10. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Well done to all the band's - especially Dronfield - it has been a long time since I have heard the band sound so confident! I had Crofton down to win by a good few points - but what do I know :biggrin::tup Anyway if anyone from the band is on here I thought it was an excellent show for 4th section and that the guy on PC was very good. I thought the general standard of the 4th section was great (in comparison from what I seem to remember of from previous years). Dissappointing result for Bestwood but it happens, it wasn't the band's best performance - you guys have a great set up for 4th section so hold your heads up high and show what you can do in Burton! :tup Also well done to South Yorks Police - good to see Andrew and Claire again. On the whole a good day :tup I only really listened to the 2nd and 4th Sections to see how old friends are getting on.

I always like to pop down to NNEMBA and have a catch up with old bands - just a shame the bar kicks out so early!!! I see I have made it into the tMP gallery again :rolleyes: you are a curse with that camera Di!!!!!

11. richard rich

richard rich New Member

Derby Contest

Managed to get down this year. I thought Crofton were unlucky not to win the 4th.Tidy performance. I also thought Tideswell would feature in the prizes.
    Leicester co-op were clear winners of the third with a neat and tidy performance of entertainments. Most of the bands here fell into the trap of over blowing and being scrappy.
    The second section was certainly interesting with all the bands giving this very difficult piece a good try. All the the bands here were winners.
    Hathern played a good band in the first section which should have been rewarded with a higher position.
    A good day out only ruined by the overcrowding at the resuts.

12. Steve

Steve Active Member

That was because they closed the bar early and it was either stand out in the cold or pile in to the results. Seem to recall that hapening last year too.

13. bumperman

bumperman Member

Thought my old band Crofton played really well. From those I heard they stood out a mile. Special mention goes to Robin Morgan for picking up best euphonium prize. :clap: They should be there or there abouts at Bradford in a couple of weeks time!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :tup :tup

P.S well done South Yorkshire Police Band, good performance.

14. youngman

youngman Member

Bad day at the office for Matlock i'm afraid. Poor start, poor middle, poor end. Very gratefull for the third prize though !

15. postie

postie Member

I am currently working on it hopefully should have the full set by tomorrow fingers crossed!!!!!

16. postie

postie Member

I am very nearly in the position of having the full result from Sunday's 4th section contest. I am just waiting for Ratby Mid to get in touch with their points total.

17. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Hope you didn't think I was implying any criticism of the format - that arrangement is very similar to one we recently used for an all swing concert, except bones and cornets where in middle facing forward.

The first time we had a practice like this it was well..........? wierd, sounds that you usually never hear are coming at you and others can't be heard. The logic makes good sense and I would imagine they are practising like that any way.

Dronfield's PC is Adrian Wood who is also the new MD at Killamarsh (he was appointed on the 1st January this year) I think he's on here somewhere but I can't remember his name.

18. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Francis, I meant the Croft Silver PC :tup, although I know Adrian and thought he played well too :)

19. GJacko

GJacko Member

Reference the Bestwood Formation.......

Interesting and brave experiment. I think this is a great talking point.

I've seen and been party (with Derwent) to swing style formats and play some swing anyway. Forward facing trumpets are great. You can hit the audience right between the eyes. Great for fanfares too. I suspect the guys in the front row at the RR club wished they'd sat further back!!

Whether it made much difference for the man behind the curtain, I'm not too sure. But when you listen to forward facing instruments you can hear every articulation much more clearly. Also any poor tuning, intonation and insecure rhythms are much clearer. And don't forget, the upward facing instruments will still be subject to the curtains of the stage at the Belvedere club next month.

I'm sure the jury will be out for some time on this one, but hats off to Brian for giving it a go. Shows flare and courage. That's what wins.......well done.

20. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

Welcome on board Graham.I thought the band was the best on Sunday even though I could'nt play.I was really impressed and Long Eaton were next best in my opinion.You have worked tremendously hard and it payed off.
    Lets hope the area's go just as well.See you on Thursday.
    Dick..CubbRep...Sometimes Rep Leics Co-Op.