Results at a contest

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Just Crazy, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Just Crazy

Just Crazy Member

Hi

How is it that, yesterday I was sat in the bar while the results for the 1st section where on at the areas. People came out of the results and you knew the top 6 results, We were on the interent at the time and seconds later before the remarks where being given out, the full results were online, How is that possible?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hi How
    Results
    time
    section
    interent
  3. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

let the great consipracy theories begin!!!

4. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

er.. prior to the remarks being distrubuted... the results were collated onto a single sheet and distrubuted to the "press", who then published them online...

5. Just Crazy

Just Crazy Member

They were quick about it

6. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Yes very efficient... by the way, my post is purely a reasonable guess... I wasn't in Blackpool at the weekend.. although if memory serves me correctly, being in a bar in Blackpool, especially the Galleon, does have strange effects on the time space continuoum... I've lost many hours in there... :)

7. Just Crazy

Just Crazy Member

Yes I agree, especially playing number 1 at 10.30am

8. andyp

andyp Active Member

Mobile 3G broadband, or mobile phone+internet, probably. 4br had a twitter site going all day as well.

9. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

That's how I would do it, but I spoke to 4BR in the Spanish Hall and I got the feeling they were simply phoning draws/results through for someone else to upload.

I think Iwan was in the Opera House (although I didn't see him), because that's where the Twitter comments were coming from - which of course you can do on any internet phone, or even by text message.

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

As far as I am aware, the usual process at the Regionals is by a phone call to Anthony, who then types in the info accordingly. How willing the authorities are to release details varies a little from place to place, and the location of the Controller's office can also be a factor. In L & SC it is usually a question of phoning in the top six following the announcement in the hall, then trying to track down the full list, and it is not always possible to do that before the next section gets under way, which can present problems if I'm on my own :mad:

11. [OCUK]Kitchster_uk

[OCUK]Kitchster_uk New Member

Jen, you're making excuses!!!!

We've got a couple of weeks before we have to play it - great introduction to 1st section!!!!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hi How
    Results
    time
    section
    interent
  13. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

ok there is only one nessecary answer here......iPhone

14. zak

zak Member

Sorry but as a long term owner of an iphone I dont understand your statement???? Please can you explain the difference between using an iphone and the normal wap facility on a normal mobile? I'm pretty sure they are both the same speed but the iphone has the advantage of making it easy for the user to read hence a bigger screen so I'm puzzled by your suggestion. Perhaps I'm missing something???

Thanks

15. zak

zak Member

Just to add that I am aware that the iphone does have the wifi facility which would speed things up but this would require a password to access a private users wifi near Winter Gardens or a wifi free zone and I'm pretty sure that there is no wifi free zone at winter gardens so an iphone in my understanding would provide no speedier access to posting/retreiving results etc etc than a normal mobile wap facility in this particular instance. If i have missed something am happy to learn.

Cheers

16. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I've had a PDA, internet enabled "smartphone" and most recently a 3G iPhone - the iPhone is definitely the fastest, even when using 3G rather than Wifi. I'm not sure of any technical reason why this should be so, might just be the network (was on T-Mobile, now O2), but it did occure to me while I was in the hall that I could post the results on here faster than 4BR could publish them. Sadly, CBA. ;)

17. zak

zak Member

I agree, 3g on paper should be way faster than normal wap. However, 3g also depends on signal strength so this very much depends on where u r. I was using my iPhone in winter gardens and also up the road at the pub and found it to be quite slow in Blackpool.

18. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

At Yorkshire area yesterday results came through to my phone as i was just getting up to leave my seat within 1 min of them been announced.
    GREAT SERVICE 4 BARS REST:clap:

19. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

They couldn't managed to make it a Dyke win for you, though ;) :) :oops:

20. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

yeah sorry, reading it back it does sound a bit dumb without some clarification....3g iphone with the right app installed to it would be simple and quick to upload results, a normal wap phone even with the quickest texting teenager putting in the data would not be as fast as the full qwerty keyboard and broadband speed phone service. even my blackberry would be hard pushed to beat an iphone with ioffice or whatever the apps called installed to it.
    Either that or there might be someone sat with one of those pay as you go USB 3g modem things and a laptop so it can be done directly there and then

21. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Did you not stay to applaud to qualifiers?

22. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

You're all overcomplicating it. The results were already on the inernet and the commitee surfed in to see who had won and then told the adjudicator so he could mark his papers and then told the audience .....simples ;)