Rest in Peace Mrs Thatcher.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Rapier, Apr 8, 2013.

1. casanova

casanova Member

I think its that fine line between constructive debate (which of course is what forums are for) and topics that people know are going to be inflamatory and cause major arguments. Im keeping my opinion on the whole subject to myself as for every person that agrees with it, it may also upset the same number and in the end, who really cares which side of the argument you land on? I certainly dont. However i do care about people being deliberately spiteful and rude because of it, especially when its not really necessary.

2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

+1

3. mattthebass

mattthebass Member

Don't get me wrong, although I quite admire Mrs Thatcher, some of the policies weren't the right thing to do. However getting to my real point, I find it amusing that so much of the coverage blames her for todays ills. Yes she started the fire, but it been nearly 25 years since she left power, which has given quite enough time for those calling her to fan the fire and throw a few more logs on to make sure it became the right royal c?*kup it is today.

4. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

and as for the irony of the news channels asking Gerry Adams for his opinion on the damage she did in Northern Ireland.....

5. animal.22

animal.22 Member

I take your point. There's nowt like healthy debate! Perhaps Mr Rapier aint as sharp as he wishes!

Still a lot o wrigglies around though aint there ;)

6. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I find much of the response by the left very distasteful. Whatever you may say about Thatcher (and I was never a fan) she never acted in such an ungratious and nasty way when even her most bitterest political opponents died.
    Contrast her generous eulogies when people like Michael Foot or Joe Gormley died to those idiots (some not even alive when she was in power) who were seen dancing on her picture in Glasgow. I know who I think are the nasty human beings with evil politics. These are the scenes you usually see in 3rd world countries where the uneducated are whipped to a fervour by evil bigots. It should have no place in the UK.

7. grausue

grausue Member

^^^^^^^^ What he said!

8. 4thmandown

4thmandown Member

Sad day for her family, who have lost a mother and grandmother. I, however, shall not mourn her passing.

9. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

I have nothing specific to add on Thatcher other than I saw poll last night (from 2010) asking who the best and worst post war prime minster has been and something like 80% of of the vote was for her, be it as best or worst. Talk about a split down the middle!

I am not a Tory (I really find it hard to trust any of them at Westminster) but surprised when I read about Torys and bankers being blamed for current issues. It's almost like people totally ignore 13 years of Labour government. I know there is a much bigger discussion here, but let's not forget the basic fact that Labour has contributed plenty the current state of affairs.

10. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I read an old quote from one of her ministers (Nigel Lawson? Geoffrey Howe?) yesterday that ran along the lines that her triumph as a political leader lay not in the fact that she transformed the Conservative party, but that she also transformed the Labour party. Her legacy was a political landscape so changed that Labour were not reelected until Tony Blair (aka "I'm Tory Plan B") relocated his party much closer to his opposition. As a result, Britain is a country with very little notably leftwards serious political representation these days. In an era where rightwards political representation is growing I find that concerning. Things might have been rather different for that balance today if Neil Kinnock had been elected in 1992.

Thatcher was one who shaped the flow of history in this country, for sure, whether for better or for worse.

11. The Godfather

The Godfather Member

Watch who you are calling a criminal Mr Lyons. I might make you an offer you cannot refuse, and it will not be a chance to re think your stance on KRAPITOL.
    CIAO, CORLEONE.

12. The Godfather

The Godfather Member

HA HA, typical City supporter. Blair- Iraq -Tory ? Mr whippy. Stick to the BBb you are really good at that my friend.
    CIAO, CORLEONE.

13. Lofty Snr

Lofty Snr Member

Can't wait for Blair to pop off, then all the other lot can pontificate on what a complete s++t he was.

14. DannyCollin

DannyCollin Member

Good riddance :clap:[/QUOTE]

:clap::clap::clap:...personally, i hope she rots in hell...

15. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

16. Alisop

Alisop Member

17. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Ah! Does this mean I might wake up one morning with a horse burger on my pillow?
    :shock:

As for Bliar and New Labour, nothing more than a Maggie-impersonating drag act. They also sold the working classes down the river while Bliar was making his bid for pontiff!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  18. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Although I loathe what Thatcher did to the less well-off, I think the behaviour of some people on the news of her death (street parties etc) is really unacceptable. This is the sort of thing you'd expect to see in a banana republic or a middle eastern terrorist state. I thought the people of this country were a bit more civilised.

19. The Godfather

The Godfather Member

No horse burger my friend, in your case it will be a KRAPITOL registration card dipped in welch rarebit. I look forward to our annual encounter at Denton.
    CIAO, CORLEONE.

20. The Godfather

The Godfather Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice