Rest in Peace Mrs Thatcher.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Rapier, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Sad to hear of the death of Margaret Thatcher. Best Prime Minister since Churchill. We will not see her like again. A proper PM who cared for the country, unlike today's light weights.
  2. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

She was a woman of principles , and stuck to them. I didn't like them but I've always respected her for that.
  3. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

And she did so much for the brass banding world........
  4. kierendinno

kierendinno Member

I think we'll agree to disagree on whether or not she 'cared' for the country or the good that she did (and I'd personally say Attlee probably surpasses Churchill in the grand scheme of things) but it's certainly sad to hear of the passing of anyone, famous or not. It will have been especially hard for her children to witness the effects that dementia can have.
  5. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Even in death I could not bring myself to say anything good about her......
  6. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Then you are less of a man than I thought you to be.
  7. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

I'm sorry - but she stood for everything which I despise. She did so much harm to those in the greatest need and gave more to those who already had the most.
    Her years as PM were dark times.
  8. John_D

John_D Member

I was working in the steel industry at the time and remember how much of a stuggle things were.
  9. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

She was a great leader who did what was needed, even if it wasn't popular. Too many politicians now are only interested in popularity and shy away from difficult decisions.
  10. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

Well IT....
    Turned this nation into a greed is good every man for himself dustbin of a place
    Ripped the heart out of our Country’s industry
    Destroyed effective Union support of the working person
    Scrapped the minimum wage council
    Sold off our utilities (which we now pay a huge price for)
    Sold off the nation’s social housing stock (which we now pay a huge price for)
    Supported the Khmer Rouge
    Sent men to war for her own ends
    Killed hundreds of innocent men on the Belgrano
    Labelled Mandela a terrorist, while inviting Pinochet round for tea
    Refused tax breaks for live aid
    Terminally alienated us within the EU
    Left swathes of working class community on the scrapheap
    Played a part in the Hillsborough scandal
    Introduced the poll tax
    Snatched our milk
    And it invented that god damn awful Mr whippy style ice cream!

Good riddance to it!!

Oh, and she liked a bit of Jimmy Savile round for Xmas.....nice!!
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  11. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

What total drivel some people post!
  12. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Indeed you do. Well done Toby. She is responsible for Cameron (and therefore Clegg, Gove and the rest) shafting the working man from all sides while the bankers and other criminals bleed the country dry and get rewarded for doing so.
  13. simonium

simonium Member

The 1970s under the Labour Party were great weren't they? Ah, better times.
  14. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Mike Lyons you too are beyond contempt. Margaret Thatcher saved this country in 1979. Dragged us from under the power of the Unions that were trying to run the country. The Miners were producing a product we did not need and costing the Tax payers a fortune to produce. How quickly you forget the strikes. Bodies not being buried. Rubbish piling in the streets. Arthur Scargill acting like God. The EU rebate was thanks to that great Lady. No one in politics today will ever be her equal. I was one of her Protection Team for a while. It was an honour to have served her.

Tony Hobson, Nelson Mandela threw a grenade onto a bus, sounds like a terrorist to me.

Do not bother replying. My time on TMP is now over.
  15. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

LIKE button request
  16. animal.22

animal.22 Member

Can "o" worms thisun innit :shock:
  17. Do not bother replying. My time on TMP is now over.[/QUOTE]

Good riddance :clap:
  18. Bungle

Bungle Member

As someone has stated online 'As devisive in death as in life'. She liked brass bands and had a brass band track on desert islands disks. As for having tea with Pinochet and Hussain, as it is said 'keep your friends close and your enemies closer'. I wonder who came out on top with those conversations?
  19. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

All has the feel of a setup to Rapier's queeny false martyrdom toys-out-of-pram moment above, doesn't it? As if anyone with a brain would have failed to realise that it would be contentious to praise Margaret Thatcher as someone who "cared for her country" to a group of people that include many from geographical areas and social classes that suffered badly under her policies. Weird thread - less an invitation to a conversation than suicide-by-debate.
  20. I thought it was tongue-in-cheek to start with. Maybe I'm still missing the irony.