Resource: Composition and Orchestration

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by TheMusicMan, Dec 7, 2006.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

For those interested or studying composition or orchestration (or combinations of either I guess) I stumbled across this excellent resource today.

Hector Berlioz - Orchestration and Composition

A fabulous source of reference material for any arrangers or composers on here.

2. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Some interesting remakrs there:

3. TheMusicMan

Yes, I spotted those dated comments too Jan. Obviously the site hasn't been updated in a little while, but nonetheless it is still an excellent resrouce for composition and orchestration studies.
  4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I think it puts certain things in perspective regarding the composer's thoughts on instruments that were available in his lifetime. Wagner was a great person for experimental brass in his day.
  5. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

You're not wrong there. I've going to enjoy reading this
  6. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Some parts of the website are in French
  7. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

I didn't say I'd understand it!
  8. TheMusicMan

9. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

"The trombone is, in my view, the real leader among the class of wind instruments I have described as epic. It possesses to the highest degree nobility and grandeur. It commands all the accents, grave or powerful, of high musical poetry, from imposing and calm religious tones to the frenzied clamour of an orgy."

I really liked this bit!!! :clap:
  10. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

I'll send Hector an e-mail and see if he can update it. Although, I have to say, he hasn't been in touch lately.........

Did anyone spot him at the Albert Hall this year? Honestly, you'd think he'd make an effort :(
  11. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I did. Should I be worried?:eek:
  12. TheMusicMan

:clap::clap: Nice one Philip...

I didn't see the man himself, but saw many people who looked like how I think he might look ;)