RESOLVED: Subscribing to Threads

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by Laserbeam bass, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Please, please, please, will you set the default on the post to Do not subscribe. This would stop cluttering up my inbox with a lowly 2MB limit.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2004
  2. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Seconded. Although the real problem isn't the subscription part (I kind of like being able to see those threads on the "subscribed" page) but the email notification. So, subscribed but with no notification would be fine also.

Also, it seems that this system notifies on every post to a subscribed thread, unlike the previous system, which would notify once and then leave you alone. I seem to get multiple notifies for the same thread, which I don't remember under the old system :confused:
  3. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

It's another one of those things you can change with the magical User Control Panel... not sure if you can set to be subscribed without the emails though.
  4. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

yes you can..

Anyone annoyed by this feature, take a look at your user control panel please.
    There, underneath "Edit Options" you will find a drop down box with options for subscriptions
    Options are :
    • No Subscriptions at all
    • Subscribe to threads, but no notifications
    • instant email notifications
    • daily email notifications
    • weekly email notifications

Of course, all of the above can be overridden on a thread by thread basis, so you can receive notifications to those threads you really want.

For those of you with existing subscriptions you don't need, choose the edit subscriptions option, and zap the little gits...

5. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

:redface: Should have looked there first.

lynchie is correct - and you can set to subscribed, but no notification (or instant, or daily, or weekly notification, whichever you'd like).
  6. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Yep - there are many more features available to you in the new look tMP now. Sorry you have found it troublesome up to now, but if you find any other issues, please ask us how to sort it for you. The team are here to help ya...

7. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

OK, I'm probably being exceptionally dense here, but I'm fairly certain that in the 'old' forum one could manually subscribe to a thread without actually posting on it. (sometimes you find a thread interesting, but you don't actually want to contribute; it happens) Can't seem to figure out how to do that now?

8. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Click on Thread Tools at the top and you'll see the "subscribe to this thread" option.

All donations gratefully received...
  9. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Yup ... exceptionally dense ...

thanks, Kirsty

10. TheMusicMan

Hi - did you manage to sort your subscription options?
  11. Laserbeam bass

I don't have any specific problems with subscribing to threads, as this is useful tool, but I would like to see the default on a reply be set to No E-Mail notification or Do not subscribe. The control panel only changes the subscription. It doesn't allow you to set your own preferences, does it?

I'll use the unsubscribe on thread tools that I have just noticed.
  12. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Yes, it does! Go to the Edit Options page, then scroll to the Messaging and Notification section. There's a setting for Default Thread Subscription Mode. Pick your choice from the list and it will change the default for all of your future posts. :)
  13. Laserbeam bass

Ta very gladly

I am now awake and realise the error of my ways.
  14. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

I have to defer credit to John and the mods, since I've been stumbling around blindly in the new software. I expect that there are a large number of features that we haven't yet seen.

(Doesn't "John and the mods" sound like a really cheesy pop group from the fifties or sixties? :p )
  15. TheMusicMan

Laserbeam: Here's a screenshot attachment of where you can set that option... just in case anyone else is looking at how to achieve this. Glad you found the option though.... enjoy!

brasscrest: hehe, nice one. 'John and the Mods' reminds me of a 'cheesy' thread started today... very funny... I wonder what music they would have played eh...:)

Attached Files:

16. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

March of the Mods, obviously ;)
  17. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

(I hated that tune :( - that and puppet on a string )