Resignation Letters

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Cheeky Monkey, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey Member

Hi Everyone
    I am leaving a band and need some hints on what to put in my resignation letter from all you great tmp-ers.
    Cheers The Cheeky Monkey
  2. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Is it not too late if they read that you are submitting your letter via tMP?

For could put why you are leaving, no?
  3. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Not if theres no hints about who "Cheeky monkey" is :p

Still, sometimes saying exactly why you left will upset the friends that you still have at a certain band (if its for reasons to do with specific people or political stuff....)

Would be useful to know why you're planning on leaving though, but I can understand why you wouldnt post it (because that could easily give you away :p)

4. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

....unless of course he'd been silly enough to put a mobile phone number in a post in another thread.....
  5. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

I assume things are not happy between you and the band - (otherwise just write a nice 'thank you' and buy everyone a pint).

If there are problems ..... I wouldn't worry too much about it - just think carefully about whether what you write will actually achieve anything - there's no point slagging off the committee, the MD, the tea ladies etc etc if you're just going to make enemies - after all you're not going to be there any more so why worry about whether they know you have grievances with them. Why not just quote a "difference of opinion" or "altered personal circumstances" and move on.

On the other hand if you feel that some members of the committee +/- band may not know your reasons for leaving, and you think they will understand / agree with you if they do (or if your reasons are affecting other band members as well), by all means write a letter telling them - but it might be better to approach them in person first to explain.

If putting something in writing, don't forget there have been several instances recently of legal battles between bands and former members, so don't put anything too inflammatory or anything that you can't back up - "if in doubt, say nowt".
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  6. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Some people have far too much time on their hands :rolleyes:

Your other post seemed about spot on to me
  7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Depending on the situation, it may be helpful to outline some of the reasons, particularly if it relates to the way you feel you have been treated by other players/committee members etc. If this is put diplomatically, it may alert people to problems that could be faced by others in the future if the issues are not addressed. You should certainly try to avoid confrontation for its own sake, as you may wish to have some involvement with the band at some stage in the future, and also the nature of banding is such that these sorts of things can leak out,and you wouldn't want to get the reputation of being awkward.
  8. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

You could always start the letter by getting right to the point....something like: "I don't know how you're going to get on without me, but starting Monday you're going to find out!" ;)
  9. Lawrencediana

Lawrencediana Member

Followed by You are going to miss me more than I shall miss you.:biggrin: