Research Project On Pedaling

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by TubaSousa, Feb 7, 2011.

1. TubaSousa

TubaSousa New Member

I am a third year music student. I am doing my dissertation on the study of pedaling. At the moment I am not looking for opinions as I know, as a tuba player there are many different views on the topic.
    Does anyone know of, or have any research on this as my search has brought myself very little so for.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

2. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

As for actual research into it, I'm certainly not aware of any formal enquiry that's been done into the effect on a band sound. You may have to do a fair bit of digging yourself on this one.

For pieces played with a lot of additional bottom-octave, Cory's 'Brass band Classics' range of CDs contain large amounts of unwritten low-register stuff, with (if I might be so bold as to say) little attention to context, so may be a useful tool in examining the effect in different musical circumstances. It's particularly obvious in "An Epic Symphony" and Bram Gay's transcription of "Les Preludes" which I think are both on Volume 2. (Both of which contain examples where pedalling could be seen as of benefit to the music, and examples where to my mind it completely destroys the balance of the lower band!)

They also have the added bonus that they also contain very well-known pieces so can be readily compared with other recordings, which will most likely contain less pedal-work.

Hope that helps!!
  3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

What questions do you seek to answer with your research? I'm curious...
  4. animal.22

animal.22 Member

It's a ****** going up hill !!!!! :biggrin:

Sorry,couldn't resist it. I'll get my coat.
  5. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I think you may need to give us a little more information concerning what you're trying to achieve. I'm no academic, but as I understand it, with a project such as this you have to have a starting point (a theory, or a premise - call it what you will) and a clearly defined objective as to what you're going to prove or disprove or whatever. Are you interested in the technical aspects, for example, or the ethichal? Considerations of style and context? History? What you've said so far seems bit vague.
  6. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

I thought about doing a Doctorate thesis on this subject once.
    After all, it is a disease with no known cure. ;-)
  7. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I've not thought of it quite like that. But sometimes you just need a pedal !
  8. tubadaz

tubadaz Member

Yep! :biggrin:

...and sometimes they just creep out on their own without you realising it!! :oops:

9. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I think Gareth may have hit the nail on the head...we really need to know what the problem statement for your dissertation is.
  10. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

Agreed. :)

I'm bored with the 'I can so I will' indiscriminate approach which seems to have gathered pace over the years.
  11. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

... to which repeated exposure causes immunity ... ;)
  12. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I try to keep pedals in their place. There is a lot of stuff Where a pedal can ruin a good peice and you cringe when someone comes in with a realy loud pedal that does not fit the music being played. I usualy confer with our BBb player and put in the ones he has written that he can't get because of lack of a well tuned 4th Valve. ( non compensating )
  13. pbirch

pbirch Member

your feet go up and down and your bicycle goes forward, whats to understand?:)
  14. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

I know it has 2 'll's in....does that help...? No?....
  15. Brass_Head

Brass_Head New Member

I'm a big fan of pedalling myself - can't resist. For my money Eb basses are better at it and better designed for it.

The ISB Bb's are very good indeed but Colin Sneade was dishing out some SBD's on his Eb this last weekend. - Genius!
  16. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

My be wrong so check it BUT did pedal notes on brass instruments come from the pedal notes on an organ? And does it have somthing to do with the definition of a pedal note being a long held note? This may be somthing to do with the pedal notes on organs being used for long notes (well, they're usually longer than the notes played by the keys for obvious reasons). I don't know but if you find out let me know :p

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

So you don't mind players adding pedals if they or the MD consider it appropriate?
  18. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

According to the Wikipedia article on Pedal Tones, the origin of the term is related to that of the pedal-board on a pipe organ. I wouldn't consider the Wikipedia article to be authoritative in any way, however ...
  19. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

OK, I know the OP mentioned he wasn't looking for opinions, but with all due respect I must disagree with this in the strongest possible terms. Eb better than BB at low register work? Well If you want to play pedals easily, and for them to sound dominant and hard, yes. But if you want warmth and depth in the low register, then no - absolutely not.

I've previously commented on the Eb pedalling issue (in reply to a post regarding an Eb player who persistently dropped octaves below the BBs) as below and I still stand by what I said then:

I might add point 7 to my former post - that Eb basses always blow sharp below pedal C, and it takes a lot of effort to pull them back in - which isn't really worth it when a BB doesn't.

Put simply, if Eb basses are better for low register work, why have we had two BBs for over a hundred years?

If you want to drop pedals in, get on BB. It's the only place you can do it without ruining the effect.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  20. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

If it does indeed come from the pedal board on an organ (which seems plausible, at least), I strongly suspect it will have more to do with the pitch of those notes than the idea of a pedal point in harmony...