Required: Blue Bell of Scotland (Pryor/Sparke), euph solo

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bassinthebathroom, Sep 21, 2010.

1. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Can anyone help us track down a set of the above piece for some concerts this weekend? It is absent from our library (!) and I'm not having much luck getting it from the usual sources. If anyone can help, please let me know!

2. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

You may have more luck if you look for it as a trombone solo? Same notes. Pryor wrote it for trombone, and it's usually played on one.

Also searching for "Bluebells" rather than "Blue bell" may help too...

3. bassinthebathroom

We have the printed solo part (which is Blue Bell on the top, as opposed to Bluebells, which I did think was odd), and a set for the trom solo version (which I know is the more played option), but they are in different keys (I am told!) and we're not sure how much variance there is between the two versions structurally.

4. MoominDave

Fair enough... Are you sure it's not a homegrown arrangement? Seems odd that it would have such an obvious typo in the title and no publisher information on the solo part.

5. bassinthebathroom

I'm not sure whether it went to print or not. It has (c) Studio Music 1986 on the bottom but I don't know (didn't ask) whether it was printed or handwritten... If I remember rightly, some of Philip's music from the time was like this - handwritten set with a copyright stamp on the bottom. Certainly we have other pieces in our library like this.
    Perhaps the man himself can shed some light? :D

6. JAlexK

JAlexK New Member

7. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

I did indeed do this piece a tone higher than the trombone original for euph and band.

Studio Music have only ever published the piano version, but I think they have a manuscript set of the band parts, which they could copy for you if you want it.

Although Prior called his version 'Bluebells' the lyrics only ever mention 'where blooms the blue bell' or 'at the sign of the Blue Bell' depending which version you trust. So I don't mind being accused of pedantry, but not making a typo! :)

8. MoominDave

Fair enough! Sorry for doubting you...

9. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Well one typo!! Pryor, of course, not Prior. Just awaiting annoucement of the Ashes squad tomorrow.........:rolleyes:

10. RThomp7462

RThomp7462 Member

Blue

Wright and Round publish a full band set of Pryor's Blue Belles for trombone and full band arranged by derek broadbent . . . . think Brett Baker has recorded it . . .

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Blue Bell
    Scotland
    anyone
    sources
    Pryor
  12. bassinthebathroom

Thank you to all for their replies, especially Philip for shedding some light!