Repiano cornets

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by rikster, Aug 7, 2008.

1. rikster

rikster New Member

Hi everybody,
    I dont know if this has been posted before but seeing people recently introduce themselves on the forum with Repiano in their title, it got me wondering where the term Repiano cornet came from, and the differing spelling on some older music copies (Ripieno). Has anybody any clues?
    Thanks very much
  2. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

My understanding was that Repiano originated from Italian, and that the term referred to 'filler'. ie would form a link between different sections (cornets, trombones, horns etc). And also the link between solo and accompaniment. ie to provide essential harmonies (often by adding an upper cornet line to an important harmony or counter melody held in the lower, and less projecting instruments). it would also form the second 'principle' cornet line when more than one cornet solo line is needed.

Here's some text I've lifted from searches on the internet today:, first one regarding brass band history of repiano, and the second being in more general musical terms:

"In Brass bands the repiano is a corruption of Ripieno, and originally meant the 1st cornet who supplied the top line when the passages were not taken as solos. The evolution of the band led to the bizarre situation the you now have 4 solo cornets with the top one, the Principal Solo Cornet taking the solos and the others being referred to as the solo cornets. This leaves the repiano to take on a strange subordinate solo role, playing harmony solo lines to the soprano lead in some places, taking solos in "Jazz" arrangements etc."

"Ripieno literally means Replenished, supplementary. The term is used in older music to make a distinction between passages to be played by the full body and others to be played by a group of soloists, or Concertante. Basically, Repiano parts were there to secure that the melody or important harmonics would come through no matter what instruments were present. The term is in this sense still used in English Brass Bands, generally misspelt Ripiano or Repiano. Also used of a supplementary choral body."

hope this is useful
  3. rikster

rikster New Member

Thanks very much for the reply, Its always intersting (to me anyway) to find out a little bit more of something that takes up a lot of our time.