Repiano Cornet

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by mozart, Sep 1, 2009.

1. mozart

mozart Member

Should the Repiano cornet be classed as a principal instrument within the band along with such instruments as the Flugel,Baritone,Eb Bass etc etc.Quite often in the top bands the Repiano cornet player deps for the Principal cornet player in his/her absence.But when the list of principal players appears the Repiano is never mentioned.After all, the Repiano part is quite separate from the other cornet parts in a similar way to the Flugel Horn part.

2. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

NO

each section has a procipal - Cornet, Horn, Euph, Trombone, Baritone, EEb Bass, BBb Bass, Percussion

there are a few individuals - Soprano, Flugel, Bass Trombone

and then there are the rest of us

3. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Although the rep part is often distinct from the other cornet parts, it is not played on a completely different instrument, like the flugel, sop or bass trombone. The cornet that the rep is playing is the same as all the other Bb cornets. That's why it would not be listed separately, and is not a principal instrument.

4. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

To give 2nd and 3rd cornets their proper titles, they would be 2nd Repiano and 3rd Repiano cornets.

Repiano is based on an italian word which roughly translated means "stuffing", you'll see it on italian menus! It comes from baroque music where the soloists in a concerto grosso were concerti (I think), and the accompaniment, or stuffing were know as repiano. You'll see a repiano stop on church organs too which fills out the sound with more parts too.

5. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

You're right, but just to be annoyingly pedantic and know-it-all-ish, the terms are actually 'concertino' and 'ripieno' when referring to the concerto grosso!

6. catto09

catto09 Member

Indeed. However, In what you've just said, the Repiano Cornet could be described as the Principle back row cornet?

7. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

indeedy...

8. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Where do you draw the line? Principal 2nd Cornet? Principal 3rd cornet... simply because there is more than 1 of each....

1 principal cornet.. that's it...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2009
  9. blue juice

blue juice Member

I was told that your 3rd strongest (Bb) cornet player should be on Rep. Whether 'strongest' is defined as loudest, best or a mixture of both I don't know.

10. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

I agree, David.

In my memory, it's only been in recent years that anyone has talked about "principals" other than cornet and euphonium, or occasionally trombone. When there's only one on a part (e.g. horns and baritones) it's really superfluous. And for some reason the basses and percussion were always sort of left out.

I think that the list that SteveTrom gave in his earlier post is about as far as it should go.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Principal
    Repiano Cornet
    Repiano
    Flugel Horn
    Baritone
  12. mickeycornet

mickeycornet New Member

cornet

i personally think that there should be one principal instrument and that should be the cornet lol

13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I wholeheartedly agree. "Too many cooks spoil the broth" springs to mind when the band seemingly splits into sections and then run by their own leaders. How often do they get together to discuss options?

But what about the poor old rep part? ... sigh! Although the historical reference to "ripieno" may be associated to it's role, it seems totally out of place for me. Major Thomas H. Palmatier, (Vice President, North American Brass Band Association, Commander conductor, US Continental Army Band at Fort Monroe, Virginia, USA) typifies what usually is found ... "(repiano cornet) the 'roving' player of the cornet section. Often used as a solo voice, or doubling the E-flat Soprano Cornet in unison or at the octave, the Repiano is used to add weight to the other cornet parts". I'm sure that the resident composers/arrangers on tMP will provide more detail on the repiano player's specific duties in their scores!

http://www.harrogateband.org/misc13.htm

14. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

how can this be?

cornets are obviously the weakest instrument in the band as it takes 9 of them (+ sop) often doubling up 2 to a part to match up with the rest of us.:rolleyes:

15. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

In both sections I suppose the Idea of a principal player is a bit of a misnoma.

For example, on the rare occasions a bass solo is required, generally the players on the section will know the player who has the sound, range, dynamic etc to play it best. Whether that's the nominal principal or not doesn't matter as long as the best player for the job ends up playing it. In my long-running partnership with Andy 'Belfast Barman' Stephenson, he would take all the high solos, I would take all the low ones, and we'd both try the ones in the middle to see where they sounded best.

Likewise, the skills required for percussion are so many and varied there will always be some variance in skill amongst the section. One percussionist may be a better side drummer than another, or better on xylophone/glock/timps, so when a technical and demanding part/feature turns up, the best player for the job will take it.

With solo parts being so much more common on cornet than either of these It was probably assumed that no matter what the situation, the principal -being the best soloist - was the best person for the job. Although that said, we did once move the cornet solo in "A time to mourn" from Essence of Time onto our bumper up because she had a naturally softer and more mournful tone than our principal who sounded quite bright.

16. bannisa

bannisa Member

Dave,

Every day is a learning opportunity - thank you for that, i've always wondered what it meant. I'll remember the term when I serve up my Sunday dinner Roast chicken and repiano!

Personally, I am a principal assistant principal cornet player!!

See you at the Open??

Regards

Andrew

17. I always think that rep players are like tyres on cars . You only realise how important it is to have good ones when you've got really cr*p ones.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  18. mickeycornet

mickeycornet New Member

i suppose that is kind of true but that could also be because the band leader maybe more confident that the cornets can put on a better show. not saying all the other instruments arnt important but 9 times out of 10 the cornets have lead tune lol

19. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I've often thought something similar about second baritone and second horn chairs. You don't always 100% hear them when they're there - but you don't half miss em when they're not.

20. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

:clap:

Couldn't have put it better!

What's amazing is playing with a band that hasn't had a good one since you joined, and then some seat swapping goes on and suddenly the entire cornet section has a different dynamic (NOT the loud and quiet sort!) and both back and front row are much stronger.

I don't think the rep should be counted as a principle player - as others have said - where does it end? - principle 2nd cornet? - but they should be either the second/third best cornet player in the band, and far more highly regarded.

21. Llamedos

Llamedos Member

Most definitely the Repiano should be counted as a principle instrument. Without a doubt!:clap:

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Principal
    Repiano Cornet
    Repiano
    Flugel Horn
    Baritone