Repairing gig bags

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by MoominDave, Nov 27, 2004.

1. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I wonder if anyone can offer any pointers on this one. I have a Vincent Bach bass trombone gig bag which I bought just over a year ago. Due to my stuffing it with music/thick books to read on the bus/umbrellas/jumpers/etc..., the outer material has split along much of the length of the side of the long zippy bit. I've just taken it around all of the leatherworkers, dry cleaners and sewing shops in the centre of Oxford, getting a "we don't do that sort of thing" response at each one. I'm stumped as to who might repair this - anyone have any better ideas?

2. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I had the same problem with my Bach Triple Trumpet/cornet bag. Only lasted about a year then started falling apart at the seams. I fixed it myself with a needle and thread and some gaffer tape, which has remained intact for about 2 years now. Took me ages to do but I have lots of time to kill during night shifts.

3. NeilW

NeilW Member

You could try to find an upholsterer - there are quite a few in the High Wycombe area.

They have "heavy duty" sewing machines and may well be able to patch your bag...

Neil.

4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I'll try that, thanks Neil. I'd rather not do it myself, as I don't have the skill, time or patience for the task! May have to though...

5. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

I would suggest trying your nearest saddlers. Ours is very good at repairing anything like this