repairing an old(er) Bb Bass

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by countessduckula, Aug 21, 2009.

1. countessduckula

countessduckula New Member

I've recently been offered an old Bb Bass for purchase. I like the sound, and the pedals way down below are parped quite easily! I may even be in tune (occasionally anyway!)

However, its in a bit of a grotty condition. I have it on loan at the mo. I have cleaned away, but in all honesty there's a bit of dodgy green here and there, and quite a bit of the original lacquer has spotted away. All the slides glide out with ease and the valves move nicely too. It more of a looks thing!

1. Is it worth getting it relacquered?
    2. Are the dodgy patches reparable?
    3. Is there anyone out there you'd recommend for this type of procedure
    4. Will I need a 2nd mortgage to fund my eccentricity?
    5. Thanks for any advice.

:tup:tup

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Bb Bass
    bit of dodgy green
    ease
    tup
    old Bb Bass
  3. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

I got my flugel fully refurbed at McQueens in manchester and it is better than new. All the wee annoying traits (like a flat first slide) have been addressed and it was worth ever penny (of the bands money). Way cheaper than buying a new one and a better quality of instrument as well!

4. Peach

Peach Member

1. Up to you or whomever is paying really. I probably wouldn't.
    2. Almost certainly, but without seeing them nobody here can say for sure. If it's just as you say - green patches - it'll just need a 'buff'. Leather guards with a plastic backing are available to put on the bow (or false piece) where your right hand sits if that's in a bad way.
    3. Yeah, McQueens do a lot of stuff for a lot of people.
    4. I think McQueens list their pricing for overhauls online. Expect to pay over £1k for a first rate job.

If it plays well as it is and functions properly you could just pay for a bit of cosmetic work and either keep the unlacquered parts polished or go for some spot-lacquer, saving you a packet over a full job.

Good luck!

5. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I have heard mention on this site of Mr Tuba. I Think some where in Wales
    get in touch with him, I had a Tuba refurbished here in Aus and was pleased with the results.
    It all comes down to what quote you get and how good your repairer and what you are prepared to pay for instrument and repair as a combined amaount. Re Laquering can be good done by the right person.
    any way do seach for mr Tuba and ask him.

6. MickM

MickM Member

Just had a cornet completely overhauled for my daughter at McQueens. Fantastic job!

McQueens Price Guide HERE