Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Robhibberd29, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month...we shall remember them.
  2. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them."
  3. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Does anyone feel that the country as a whole has started to take Rememberance day a bit more seriously for the last few years that it used to? Regardless of where I've been or what I've been doing (usually working in some capacity), it's only been in the last 5 years or so that everything has come to a standstill at 11am on the 11th.

Why would that be?

(btw, I think it's a good thing, just wondering why)
  4. YRBBC

YRBBC Member

In answer to your question 'Why'
    Last year I was in Wootten Bassett when five of the fallen were coming home. An experience I will never forget. It brings it home to you that conflict is still very real and happening today and the families of the fallen and the wounded still need our support.
    "We will remember them"
  5. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

I can't say I have personally noticed much of a difference. In my place of work we have observed two minutes silence for as long as I can remember and as I am sure it is the same for the vast majority of us band folk, we are the ones involved at Armistice year in year out. However, wooden boxes coming home is a very real and sobering thought. I am wondering if social media sites (such as facebook) have played a part in any changes of interest/involvement/debate/respect for this occasion? So many of my friends on there now have pictures of poppies etc as their profile picture with a status to match.
  6. andyp

andyp Active Member

I think the media has a lot to do with it (and in a good way for a change), there's a lot more attention given to the casualties of war, the Help For Heroes charity and so on these days, so people are more aware of it.
    Thing is, there's barely been a year since 1945 when British troops haven't been taking casualties somewhere in the world, as shown in this on the BBC..

Whatever your political views, you should remember all those (military and civilian) who died in any conflict if for no other reason than as a guy called George Satayana originally said (and has been misquoted ever after) "Those
    who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
  7. MissBraz

MissBraz Member

I was working at Cheltenham Racecourse today, started at 7am this morning for set up and to say the least was a little worried about what was going to happen on the 11th hour.. Being the first time in years i haven't played the last post - i wandered if they would get the whole racecourse to come to a stand still - much to my suprise at 10.55 the boss of the whole racecourse spoke over the whole racecourse saying to stand by for the 2 mins silence, i had waitresses in my team from all walks of life and everyone of them without any prompting, stopped, put down their set up, or polishing of glasses and stood in a line next to me, it humbled me that i didn't need to tell them to do it.

Looking out a cross the whole racecourse, every was stood still, it was an amazing expierence.
    I was bought up and taught to respect Remembrance day - always have always will. I'm glad that my staff and ALL the staff stood there and respected it too!
  8. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

In similarity to you, I have also spent most Rememberance Sundays as part of a parade.

Today I wasn't, and went shopping with my young daughter. We were in ASDA just before 11 this morning when someone announced over the tannoy that they would be observing the 2 minutes silence. He said "the 2 minutes silence starts now". The ASDA radio carried on playing, after about a minute a montage of last post and we will remember them was heard. Then the guy on the tannoy thanked everyone for observing the silence. I was still waiting for it to start.

All the shoppers in there had stood still for the 2 minutes. It's a shame that ASDA couldn't remain silent for even a second of it.........