Remembrance Sunday - Was your band out today?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Will the Sec, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Was your band out today?

Back at home after double the usual march = from the Royal British Legion in Fulhamto the cenotaph at Putney Crematorium, and then back. It's about a mile and a half each way.

I'm totally shattered, and I only marched with a baritone masquerading as a BBb bass.

I'm off for a long soak in the bath!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    BBb bass.
    Remembrance Sunday
    Fulhamto
    Putney Crematorium
    Royal British Legion
  3. Cochyn

Cochyn Member

Aye, small group went out by 9am to do the village service, then onwards to the larger service in Caernarfon. Not too bad, still can't feel my feet...good old Welsh weather! ;)

4. Yep our band were out today! lovely march from royal british legion in Levenshulme to St Marks church then back! and the rain even kept of until we got back home couldnt as for a better day! :)

5. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Marsden were out today, marching from the Royal British Legion up to the Cenotaph in Marsden where a short memorial service was held. We then marched to a church for a service where the band played the hymns and a couple of marches.
    Then marched back to the British Legion. A total of two hours, very enjoyable and its good to be ale to put something back into the community for a day like today.

6. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Yep Croydon Cit. were out today. We played at the service in Fairfield Halls, then had a short march to the war memorial, short ceremony there. Another short march back. Played the same march two or three times, but at least I now know the 1st baritone part for 'Rosehill'!!

7. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Yep, Freckleton Band.
    March in St.Annes from the Pier to the Cenotaph, play for service (4 hymns and Last Post etc). March back, counter march, speeches and National Anthem. Whilst this is going on 2 of our front row also play last posts in the 2 churches in the village of Freckleton.

All jump into cars, drive back to Freckleton, march from the bandroom to the Cenotaph, small service (2 hymns, LP etc) then march back to bandroom.

Now in recovery time before this evenings concert at the Lowther Pavillion!!! Only a couple of players missing this morning, full band really! Shows some committment.

8. paulspud

paulspud Member

Old Hall Brass led the parade from New Springs, Wigan to Aspull War Memorial, played for the hymns at the service, then marched back to New Springs Ex-Servicemen's Club on Cale Lane, Wigan. Cornet player Stephen Saleh performed Last Post and Reveille during the Remembrance Service, and will also play at St David's Church, Haigh, Wigan this evening.

9. I was out with Croft and carrying the bass drum for a mile 1/2 or so. My friends reckon that at 5 foot 2 I'm the shortest person to march with the bass drum and asked why hadn't I asked a bloke to do it. Anyone shorter than me? I bet there is.

10. Liz Loftus

Liz Loftus Member

South Molton were out - minus police to stop the traffic - bit hairy going round the bend out of the sqare & then turning right across the traffic :eek: - we couldn't wait any longer or the timing would have been out. The bobbies finished their coffee break in time for the parade back, which this year we took at a leasurely pace after being told off last year and stopped half way for leaving the parade behind - whoops! Mike Dallyn our sop did his usual brill perfomance with last post :tup

Oooh and the vicar seemed to have a cob on with the band - we played during the wreath laying ceremony, which we normally do. What nobody told us was that the choir had prepared something, which they sang after we had finished - and after the wreath laying ceremony :-? . The vicar then bypassed the next hymn which the band were due to play and kept throwing strange looks in our direction - he's new to the parish and I'm sure he'll soon catch on ;) Apparently he's had a meeting with the church committee to reorganise Xmas Eve - the band organise carols in the square in the evening around the tree - this year the vicar wanted guitars and keyboard :eek: someone politely informed him it was the bands party not his - I can see we're going to have some fun over the coming years :tongue:

11. postie

postie Member

Bestwood did their annual service in the local village church this morning. The church was absolutely packed which is always a good sign that people are prepared to come to the service for Rememberance Day.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    BBb bass.
    Remembrance Sunday
    Fulhamto
    Putney Crematorium
    Royal British Legion
  13. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Campbeltown Brass were out, tho in one of the big public halls in the town, as was it was cold and rainy earlier! No marching, just a couple of hymns to play before service, one in hymn in service, last post etc, then home, easy!

Altho our Remberance Parade is getting shockinly poor now, I counted just 25-30 folk lined up in parade, being just Army Cadets, Sea Cadets and Brownies, about a 16-18 wreath bearers, and a female parade leader, with a tongue sharper than a machete!!! Im thinking in a few years there wont be one here in Campbeltown as its getting less and less each year. Is anybody else finding theirs is going the same way now?

Years ago with RAF Machrihanish on the go all the serviceman, American Seals, and all the local organisations would be in full turnout, say 2-300 folk in total and all very disaplined in marching!

14. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Yep! Flixton were at the Trafford Rememberance Service this morning. We also have a local rememberance concert tonight.

15. rebecca

rebecca Member

Menai Bridge were playing in Llangefni whilst I was playing the last post on Church Island and our sop player was playing the last post in Llanfair PG (the place with the long name). Church island was lovely, very moving!

16. Bungle

Bungle Member

Cranbrook were out, for a service in the (packed) church :) , followed by a short march to the memorial, a march back and a free pint in the pub after. We played a few pieces in the church before the service which was nice. Bb bass player was put on the left side, so couldn't see the rest of the band past his bell and was striding away out in front until he was shouted at. I never feel its a chore to do remembrance Sunday after what they have done for us.

17. robcornet

robcornet Member

Driffield Silver Band were out today playing at the Cenotaph in Bridlington really good turn out from public and band. Graham Walker played the last post, made the hairs on your neck stand up. We didn't march as the parade was lead by a piper.

18. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

No not out but saw bits and dabs of service on television

19. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

Mid Sussex were in Burgess Hill marching from the Cypress Road Car Park (behind the British Legion) to the war memorial in the town. I have no idea of the route we took. My eyes were glued to my music and the back of our side drummer. We played Imperial Echoes, the British Legion March and Light of Foot.
    After a hymn at the war memorial, we went into the church and played Nimrod and Solemn Melody. We also played another hymn and the National Anthem.
    Then we marched back round to the car park. We played Sussex By the Sea and the British Legion March.

It all went rather well, except that none of us could quite grasp the idea of stopping on as double tap but also continuing to play at the same time. My playing has certainly improved a lot over the past year when I think about the way I played this time last year, so I'm proud of myself!

20. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Woodbridge Excelsior were out yesterday to help Otley (Suffolk) dedicate their new War Memorial with a Remembrance Service, and again today at Framlingham where we marched up the hill (phew) to St Michaels Church where we provided the hymns for their Remembrance Service before marching down the hill again afterwards (good old Green March Book :) )

I think it's fair to say I'm a bit tired after that... :)

What marches do other bands use on Remembrance Sunday? We used Loyal & True, New Recruit and True & Trusty today. Slaidburn was a march too far the last time we tried that up the hill!

Andy

21. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

Went out with Leigh Silver today, Timperley wern't out so the people of Leigh got to experience my Last Post attempts ;)

22. Owen S

Owen S Member

We were out at St. John's in Egham as always. I think this must be the eleventh year in a row I've been there.

We form up in the car park outside the bandhall and march off at 9-40, followed by the ever-dwindling Legion, the scouts and the brownies. On the way, I discover the tasty counter-melody in the trio of The British Legion on the rep part. Arriving at the church, we play the marchers in, then head up the side stairs for the service, luckily finding it much better attended than the parade. The congregation really should have got used to Gareth's hymn tune arrangements by now.

We head outside to the war memorial in time to play Solemn Melody as the filler (next year alternates back to Nimrod), then Last Post, two minutes silence, Reveille and the Queen. March back to Standard of St. George, Colonel Bogey and Home Again, and open up the band hall bar for a liquid lunch.

Remembrance Sunday is a gig we do for the local community, and I'm happy with that. We did a decent job today too.