Remembrance Day - when do you play?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tubafran, Nov 6, 2007.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

KSB will be attending the local village Remembrance Service this Sunday and the service is held in the afternoon. We have the 2 minute silence at 3pm.

When do other bands play for Remembrance Day - morning, afternoon or evening?

I have never understood why our village has it in the afternoon, it just always seems to be have done that way. Very odd having a wreath laying ceremony at the War Memorial outside the church and after the Last Post we have the "silence" - which of course isn't.

2. dyl

dyl Active Member

9:15 am outside the memorial in Deiniolen.

3. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

9:20am Parade to church with British Legion and Brownies/Cubs etc.
    10:00 Church Service
    10:50 Wreath laying, Act of Remembrance at War Memorial outside Church
    11:00 Last Post - Silence - Reveille
    11:10 Parade back

Later on, usually around 1:00pm the Legion do an unaccompanied parade/flag party/wreath/Act of Remembrance at the Air Forces Memorial at Runnymede for which I do Last Post & Reveille.

4. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

We Have a service at 4.30 am for Anzac day which is when it is Dawn at Gallipoli followed by rememberance Marches and services all through the Morning finnishing around 11.00. Altogether three Marches and Three Services at variouse locations around Ipswich in Queensland.
    Dawn service at the Bundamba Memorial
    Gunfire Breakfast at 5.30
    March and service at Goodna Memorial
    March and Memorial Service at around 10.00 am in Bundamba
    Final March through Ipswich town centre at around 11.00 am
    Anzac Day being 25th April commemorating the Australian and New Zealand armed forces fighting together for the first time in the first world war at Gallipoli

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  5. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

9.30 - Clayton West, Sevice and Minutes silence etc.

bandroom bacon butties

10.45 - Emley, Sevice and Minutes silence etc.

NO MARCHING - it's great! Two services but so close together it's nice to do them both!

6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

We normally start the parade to the Legion at about 10:15am - service starts at 10:30 - 2 minutes silence in church at 11:00 - march back about 11:15. On the return march we stop at the memorial for the wreath laying party.

I thought that was a pretty standard timetable, but looking at the replies here, it seems we start later than a lot of other parades.

7. 4thmandown

4thmandown Member

The Remembrance Service in Barnoldswick, Lancashire always used to be held in the afternoon with the silence at 3pm. This was so the local MP, when Barnoldswick was in the Skipton constituency, could attend two services, Barnoldswick and Skipton, in the one day. This may explain the original reason for your village's timings - possibly.

As for me, I do my only job as a professional musician on Sunday. I get to sit in a nice warm church and only go out for about 5 minutes to do the Last Post - unlike the other poor beggars in Shirley Band who have to freeze/get soaked/get windblown etc

8. andyp

andyp Active Member

Eccleston in the morning, silence timed for 11.00 on the dot, then same again at Mawdesley at 2pm. Parade and service for both. Busy day!

9. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

Lympstone SWT will be doing the parade and service at Taunton in the morning....I think we are meeting about ten. Then we are doing a short parade at Dawlish in the afternoon, about 2 I think.

10. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Just thought of a possible reason why ours may be in the afternoon. One of our cornet players usually attends a wreath laying at 11am in the next village of Halfway (just up from the Halfway tram stop, which is the end of the line - just for Colin) - this is arranged by our village Royal British Legion branch.

At the same time other members of the Legion attend a flag lowering ceremony in the village.

I'll have to ask the RBL representatives if they know why ours is pm and not am.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Remembrance Day
  12. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

i have not done it for at least 8 years;
    Last time it was well freezing cold close on freezing tempreature wise and banging it down with frezzing rain and hail for the complete time.
    I was glad to get in the car and come home just sat by fire when got in.
    But this year im going to hear my girlfriend play at the church at Oaks in Charnwood she as done it for 30 years looking forward to hearing her play the last post etc
    I know it will be played so beautiful.

13. David Mann

David Mann Member

I'll have a full day on Sunday. In the morning, Dunchurch will be out in the village but I'll be playing last post at my own church. In the afternoon, I'll be with Gretton for a church service, parade and 2 minutes silence, then off to Coventry Cathedral with my bass guitar to take part in "Cathedral Praise".
    I'd be in favour of a national holiday on 11th November, with all shops and offices made to close for the 2 minutes silence. It would be a small sacrifice compared to that of those who gave their lives in the service of others.

14. 10am in Levenshulme Manchester. We have a march under the railway bridge (which makes us sound like 100 strong!) and then play in the church and march back. Then see who asks us for help for afternoon jobs. (Probably off up to Hyde).

I think Remembrance day is so important, and every year I turn out in memory of my great uncle who was shot carrying one of his friends during the battle of Paschendale on 8th May 1917, and for all those who died protecting what we hold most dear today.

Speaking of which, anybody free on Sunday to help us out? ;) ;) ;) ;)

15. brassed_off

brassed_off Member

Parade in Daventry about 10.30 with the British Legion, Cadets, Scouts etc for 11am silence and service at the cenotaph. Then parade to church for service then parade back to start. (PHEW!) Then I've been engaged to play for a 3pm church service at Crick. Our Sop is playing for another service at 3pm, so it is certainly not uncommon to have services at times other than 11am.

16. we are playing at gorton barracks on friday 9th at 7:00pm
    then again on sunday morning with a parade!

17. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

10.45am service at Campbeltown War Memorial, usually with a stonking hangover.....!!!

18. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

10am st ives till like 12ish! than in the afternoon illogen which the march is a killer for basses! That like 2 -4 or something! and the lovely music British legion march, Cross of honour and punchinello! lol

19. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

We have our own meeting at the usual time, commencing at 10 and incorporating the Last post, the Silence at 11am and the Reveille.

We then walk down the road to the Parish Church to wait for them to emerge from their service by about 11.30. Then a short march to the War Memorial for the ceremony there before marching back to the hall. Usually finished by about 12.20.

20. clare_euph

clare_euph Member

Playing in Stocksbridge in the morning, then a Last Night of the Proms Remembrance Concert at Niagara in Sheffield at 8pm - entrance by raffle ticket priced £1.....plug over!!

21. toby-horn

toby-horn New Member

Well we normally play at 11:00

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Remembrance Day